Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records for people serving the Military in India

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SamKaringal

SamKaringal Report 8 Oct 2013 12:25

I have found a record of my g-g-grandfather's marriage in India on 5th January 1847, and obtained a copy of the certificate from the UK. However I am interested in finding out about his wife, Mary Cartwright (15 y.o.at the time of her marriage), whose father, William Cartwright, worked for the Army as a blacksmith I believe. He was stationed in Balghum, where the 15th Hussars had an outpost the outfit my g-g-grandfather belonged to.
Can anyone give me any idea where and how to start looking.

SamKaringal

SamKaringal Report 8 Oct 2013 12:29

I found some other Cartwrights working as blacksmiths for thedifferent brigades in India, which makes me think William had brothers and maybe he was born in India.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Oct 2013 16:47

You could search the British Army Service Records database on FindMyPast for William Cartwright . However, the records don't include all men. If he's not there, there will be other Army records for him at the National Archives but you would have to know his regiment in order to find him.

SamKaringal

SamKaringal Report 9 Oct 2013 01:49

Thanks Annielauriei'll try Find My Past. I'm not certain if he belonged to any regiment in particular, just that he worked for the military.
Tricia

Potty

Potty Report 13 Oct 2013 16:02

Are you sure about her father's name; there is this marriage:

Name: Thomas Gradale
Birth Date: 1815
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Mary Cartwright
Spouse's Birth Date: 1831
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 16
Event Date: 05 Jan 1847
Event Place: Madras, Madras, India
Father's Name: Thomas Gradale
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Benjamin Cartwright
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00058-7

Potty

Potty Report 13 Oct 2013 16:04

If the above is the right Mary, this looks like her baptism:

Name: Mary Cartwright
Christening Date: 15 Dec 1831
Christening Place: Jaulnah, Madras, India
Birth Date: 12 Sep 1831
Birthplace: Jaulnah, Madras, India
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Benjamin Cartwright
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Chinamah
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00067-4

SamKaringal

SamKaringal Report 14 Oct 2013 12:16

This is my Mary! The marriage certificate misspelt her husband's surname, it is Grisdale,
I am delighted you have details of her baptism, it solves one question, but poses another. On her m.c. Her father's name is William and I don't know where I got the notion her mother was Jane. It was never in doubt that she was of Indian descent, and this record confirms this.
Is it possible to find a marriage for Benjamin & Chinamah?
Can I access these records myself?
Many thanks.

Potty

Potty Report 14 Oct 2013 12:32

Sam, this is the site the above records came from:

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results

It is the LDS (Mormon) site and is very useful for baptisms and marriages, not just for India but for UK and Ireland too.

Potty

Potty Report 14 Oct 2013 12:37

From familysearch again, this looks like Mary's brother - could this be where the Jane came from?

Name: William Cartwright
Christening Date: 15 Feb 1829
Christening Place: Jaulnah, Madras, India
Father's Name: Benjamin Cartwright
Mother's Name: Jane
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00067-3
System Origin: India-EASy
GS Film number: 521839
Reference ID: v 11 p 375

Potty

Potty Report 14 Oct 2013 12:54

There is another baptism in 1834 for Robert, father - Benjamin, mother- Jane; so Mary's baptism in 1831 comes between William and Robert's. Also, there is a marriage for a Benjamin Cartwright to a Jane (no surname given) in 1834.

Possibly the Chinamah is a mistranscription or maybe Benjamin gave her an English name.

If you have a LDS family history centre near you, you could request the film and check the original. This site helps to find the centres:

https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator