Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

royal navy service record - blank copy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lianne

Lianne Report 15 Oct 2013 22:09

I have just got hold of my great grand fathers Royal Naval Reserve Ratings' Records of Service paper but it is jam packed with writing and stamps - I am finding it difficult to decipher everything. Can anyone help with like a black copy of anything so at least I know what info is in each column?!?

many thanks

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 15 Oct 2013 22:22

There's an explanation of the records here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-reserve-service-records.htm

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 16 Oct 2013 06:47

Its fairly straight forward - it will give details of his appearance, tattoo's scars etc.
It will also list his rate and trade and a new entry will be made each time he changes ship/establishment or is advanced. It will also show remarks as to his conduct during his naval service

Lianne

Lianne Report 20 Oct 2013 17:38

Can anyone help with deciphering the image from national archives - I am struggling to read the scrawly handwriting of the list of ships her served on during the war.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 24 Oct 2013 15:04

I have e-mailed you with a breakdown of the ships/establishments that I have been able to decipher from the record you send me