Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

grandfather war record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 22 Jan 2014 14:20

my grandfather was born 1891 i have pictures of him in uniform but can not find eny records of him enywhere can enyone help me
he was called james walden and in the royle engineers and lived in bayonne road fulham

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jan 2014 15:53

Many of the records from the first world war were destroyed in a fire. Findmypast have those that have survived but I can't see anything for him.

Kath. x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2014 23:02

Ancestry have the WW1 service records, not FMP

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Jan 2014 23:28

Could this be your grandfather

Records, 1914-1920
about James Walden

Name:
James Walden

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1892

Age at Enlistment:

Birth Parish:
Chiswick

Birth County:
Middlesex

Document Year:
Regimental Number:
Regiment Name:
Bn Royal Berks ??
Number of images:

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Jan 2014 23:53

I see that his address is different so can rule this one out. There are quite a lot of James Waldens, will keep looking.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Jan 2014 08:32

Not seeing a birth for hm in 1891 ? only a James Alban Walden in Chertsey

Is this your man?
Births Dec 1893
Walden James Fulham 1a 312

His service record may not have survived but the medal cards were stored in a different locaton and did survive but their is only one with a James Walden who served in the royal engineers but he has a middle name and served in 3 seperate regiments

Walden, James W. Corps Regiment No Rank Yorkshire Light Infantry 8963 Private. Royal Engineers WR303631 Serjeant. South Wales Borderers 34637 Serjeant.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Jan 2014 08:42

There are several possibles here are a couple

Medal card of Walden, James. Corps Regiment No Rank London Regiment 5225 Private. London Regiment 492197 Private.

Medal card of Walden, James. Corps Regiment No Rank Middlesex Regiment L/15095 Private.

May be worth checking these out on Ancestry which i don't have but i know their are possible matches for them

Roy

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 24 Jan 2014 09:41

thank you one and all i will go through every one with a fine tooth comb

regards
dorothy ;-)