Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Walton Cottage, Connaught Road, Fleet, Hampshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 1 Feb 2014 23:43

I am trying to locate this address (or even a photo) as I believe I was born there in 1942. It appears that the house name no longer exists but may have been changed to another name or just a number. There is also the chance that the property does not exist today. I believe Dad was lodging there while he served with the FVPE nearby.
Anyone have any information, ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2014 23:51

Have you tried the local library? They may have old photos or old maps of the area.

The town planning department may have information about houses that have been demolished.

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 2 Feb 2014 17:06

Electoral rolls from before or after the war may give you an indication of where on the road it was located.

Added:
This is from an estate agent for a house for sale, showing how both the name of the house and the name of the street change:

'The house known as Ladybower was built in 1908 for one Reginald Masters Smith. It was originally named ‘Martlets’ and retained that name until 1957. At the time Ladybower was built, Connaught Road was named High Street. In 1908 High Street contained only a few scattered dwellings. It is believed the house was probably called ‘Martlets’ on account of the three Martlets that appear on the coat of arms of Reginald Masters Smiths family.'

Just for vague interest:
http://www.francisfrith.com/fleet,hampshire/photos/connaught-road-1920_69912/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk

Michael

Michael Report 6 Feb 2014 06:04

Kath; have tried library and one kind person did check municipal records and did take a photo of what was thought to be the current location, but I am not sure..

patchem: Have tried electorial rolls but not found anything between 1927 and 2002 - how or where may these be found?, Thank you for the link to Francisfrith.

Walton Cottage was owned by a Mrs Grinham in the early 1940's and she was still there in the mid 1950's when Dad went down for a visit.
Birth certificate says I was born in Walton Cottage, Connaught Road, Fleet 1942
I have tried local newspapers, but to no avail.
(You may have gathered that I am not in the area to make personal visits.)
Michael

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Feb 2014 09:26

The ER would be found at the nearest reference library, not on line. There was no ER during either of the World Wars.
If the ER haven't survived, there might be street directories available.

One street directory I'd looked at for the early 1900's had a notation of the order of visits. From that the librarian was able to help me with old maps to work out where the property was. You might have to pay the Library/Archive to track backwards and forwards from the 1940's. MInd you - it does sound as if the person who has helped you might already have done that. You may have to be satisfied with a copy of an old map which shows the position of the cottage.

Mary

Mary Report 6 Feb 2014 17:59

Ada Alice Grinham widow of Walton Cottage died 1/8/1948 probate to Joyce May Ball (born 1918) nee Grinham and Walter Ross Grinham.

Walter Ross Grinham (born 1921) married Myrtle R Ball in 1942.

Joyce May Grinham married Thomas William Joseph ball 1938,i wonder if they had any descendants who may have photos??

Maryb.