Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

forefront runners for the d day landings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

pamela

pamela Report 2 Feb 2014 17:07

i am trying to trace my fathers military career the only thing i have is a photo with my father and other soldiers on and on the back of the photo was the writing forefront runners for the d-day landings, my fathers name was thomas herd please get in touch with any information if you would, thank you.my name is pamela roy ne herd.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Feb 2014 18:03

pamela, You can apply for his service record,

They are still held by the MOD if your mother is still alive she can apply at no cost or you can apply, It will cost you £30 and take between 6 and 9 months

See https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Roy

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Feb 2014 13:58

Hello Pamela and welcome to the Community Boards.

I will let Pamela know that she has a reply to her query... :-)

pamela

pamela Report 4 Feb 2014 19:11

thanks alot roy, any other ideas on how i can get any other information about him? thanks alot for your help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Feb 2014 11:18

If you are concentrating on his military career, then not really. Your only option is to purchase his Military records which are held by the MOD. They are NOT in the public domain.

Once you have them you'll be able to make an internet search for his regiment and the various battles he was involved in.

You could google his name and see if it shows up in The Gazette but that's about it.

Other than that, it's the normal FH research routes such as birth and marriage certificates as well as searching Electoral Rolls for the various addresses where he lived. You might get lucky and find his name in the local papers, for such things as being a prize winner in say a gardening competition.