Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick ATKINS South Staffordshire Regiment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 9 Feb 2014 12:04

Below is the 1911 Census information on my grandfather. He was a regular soldier and yet I get "No information" on all the areas of the Genes site that I try to locate information on him. The same has happened with my father George Atkins who enlisted with the same regiment in 1937. I know from my father most of his military history but would like to find out more about both him and my grandfather Frederick. Anyone got any ideas?

SOLDIER INFANTRY
Military Info PRIVATE 2ND BN SOUTH STAFFORD REGT
Address WHITTINGTON LICHFIELD
Parish WHITTINGTON
County Staffordshire

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Feb 2014 12:06

So is that the 1911 details ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Feb 2014 12:12

Possible service records ??

Name: Frederick Atkins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Age at Enlistment: 24 Birth Parish: Lichfield Birth County: Staffordshire
Document Year: 1904 Regimental Number: 7029
Regiment Name: So Stafford Regiment Number of Images: 2

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880 Age at Enlistment: 24
Birth Parish: Lichfield Birth County: Staffordshire
Document Year: 1904 Regimental Number: 7029
Regiment Name: Durham Light Infantry Number of Images: 22

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Feb 2014 12:13

1911 ??

Age in 1911: 32 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Civil Parish: Burntwood, Ethal and Woodhouses
County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England
Street Address: 6 Regimental District, Whittington Barracks, Whittington, Lichfield Marital status: Single
Military Unit: 2nd Battalion South Stafford Regiment
Registration District: Lichfield
Registration District Number: 367 Sub-registration District: Lichfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 31-32 Piece: 16889

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Feb 2014 13:02

The records for Soldiers who served or continued to serve after 1920 are still held by the MOD they are NOT in the public domain, You can apply to the MOD for your father George Atkins records

All the information you need including the forms required can be found on the link below

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

If your grandfathers service ended before 1920 then his records IF they survived would be on ancestry and i believe findmypast, most WW1 records were destroyed in ww2 bombing and only around 30% survived, However Medal cards from WW1 were stored in a seperate location so most survived but they have limited value as a research aid

Roy

Potty

Potty Report 10 Feb 2014 12:07

Looking at the Service records GlitterBaby posted, he had two service numbers, the second being 165820. He was awarded the Silver War badge (a medal given to soldiers who had fought and been discharged due to injury of sickness). This is the record:

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920

Fredk Wm Atkins

Discharge Unit:Labour Corps.
Regiment Number:165820
Badge Number:472251
Unit:Labour Corps (Nottingham)
Piece:3205
List Number:LC 6101-6518; 8586-8600
Record Group:WO
Record Class:329

You can see an image of the record (and of his Service Records) on the Ancestry site. It shows that he was discharged due to sickness.

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Feb 2014 14:41

Thankyou for the above information it has proved very useful.
Patricia

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 17 Feb 2014 08:50

Worth contacting the Staffordshire Regimental museum at Whittington Barracks - for a reasonable fee they will assist in your research.

The research team are available on Thursdays on 01543 43 43 95 or you can e-mail them at: [email protected]