Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Discharge Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

evangeline

evangeline Report 16 Feb 2014 14:39

My grand father was discharged from the army on the 28th June 1916, at the time of discharge he was serving with the 44th Reserve Battery of the Royal Field Artillery.

Is there any way of finding out where he lived after being discharged, surely he would have received an Army pension and therefore, there must be records of where his pension was paid.

My grandfathers name was William Enis (Enos) Lawrence. Born 1885 in Eastry Kent

Flip

Flip Report 16 Feb 2014 15:26

He was long term army according to the census for 1901/11, but 70% of military records were destroyed in WW2, it looks like his did not survive - at least I can't find them on Ancestry or National archives.

evangeline

evangeline Report 16 Feb 2014 15:37

Flip

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to look for me.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Feb 2014 19:42

Have you seen this ?

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920

Name: Wm. Enis Lawrence
Discharge Unit: Royal Field Artillery 44 Res. Bty.
Regiment Number: 14848 Rank: Corpl Badge Number: 81774
Unit: Royal Horse; Field Artillery (Charlton; Woolwich)
Piece: 2965 List Number: RA 0001-0300 Record Group: WO Record Class: 32

His medal card is on Ancestry but no address given on it

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Feb 2014 20:05

He also has this medal card

Reference:
WO 372/12/22045
Description:
Medal card of Lawrence, William E
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Field Artillery 14848 Bombardier
Royal Field Artillery 14848 Corporal
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Roy

evangeline

evangeline Report 17 Feb 2014 00:00

Thank you everyone for your replies, they have all been very helpful and will give me something to go on. Thank you once again. :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Feb 2014 15:18

Why do you think he would have received a Pension?

My grandfather was not discharged until late 1919 (he was in Turkey) and he did not get a pension. Nor do I think did any men who served in WW1.

I think the only people who got pensions, were those who were injured or the Widows of those who died.

If I am wrong I am sure that someone more knowlegable than me will explain the pension process.

evangeline

evangeline Report 18 Feb 2014 15:53

As my grandfather was medically discharged, I assumed he would have been entitled to some form of pension.
I don't pretend to know much about the entitlements of soldiers who served in the first or second world war and this is why I come to web sites like this one, hoping there will be someone more knowledgeable in this area who might be able to help me and point me in the right direction.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Feb 2014 16:56

DazedConfused, Flip posted above,

"He was long term army according to the census for 1901/11"

So a career soldier and as such his years service should have made him eligible for a pension.

Army Pensions were administered until 1955 by The Royal Hospital Chelsea for both pensioners living in the hospital and thoughs living elsewhere, (Known as in pensioners and out pensioners) so it may be worth checking their records for his pension

My Great Grandad served in WW1 he enlisted at the start of hostilities in 1914 and was discharged in 1919, He never recieved a pension but he did recieve a £50 bounty as did most who never got the pension, And as far as i'm aware some got a pension for their injuries,

I don't have hard evidance for this but that's what my grandad told me years ago.

I do have evidance that before the war he was a carter so not a well paid job and he invested the £50 in the steelworks at Sheffield and never worked again but died owning his own property and cash rich.

The practice of the Army giving volunteers a bounty at the end of service in recent history extends to the TA who got a bounty every year as an incentive to continue serving,

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Feb 2014 11:38

As I said in my post, someone with more knowledge would help.

We all post our 'advice' on either what we know or our own personal experience.
:-D

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Feb 2014 12:18

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1323791

(some info. relating above)

Chris :)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1337537

(apology from Evangeline on above for duplication)