Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Raymond French

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dianne

Dianne Report 25 Apr 2014 06:13

Raymond French, born in Birmingham in 1940, spent about six years in the armed forces. I suspect he joined up around 1958, though I am not certain. I would certainly appreciate it if someone could tell me more.

Thanks a bunch.

Dianne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2014 10:50

Recent military records such as this will still be with the MOD. There are limitations on who can request them.

Read here for details
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Unless the man himself or his widow applies, the records will cost £30 to access.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2014 11:13

Just read the inclusion of your 'story' on the Success board which does imply you have a 'looking for' thread somewhere.

Raymond Jones/Raymond French
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/success_stories/thread/1339821

If you are a 'Jones', then you have no legal right to access the records as he appears to be a 'French'. All legal ties were cut with the Jones family when he was adopted.

From the link previously posted to the Veterans site

Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the next of kin, MOD will disclose only:..............

............Where the consent of the immediate next of kin has been given for its release to a third party, the 25 year threshold will not apply allowing the release of all the information available under the publication scheme at any time, subject to the payment of an administration fee of £30 per record and the provision of a death certificate (except where death was in service).

You might have to ask his family to sign the forms.

Dianne

Dianne Report 25 Apr 2014 17:22

Thank you both. Yes, thanks to researchers and an adopted sister, we have found Raymond.

Unfortunately he died in 1986, aged 46, of cancer. I was just hoping that we could find some record of his military service to add to our file.

I appreciate your advice.

Dianne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2014 23:14

Sorry to read that you had no, if any, time to get to know him

Assuming the adopted sister is Raymond's legal sister, she could apply for the Service Records in her own right as long as she can send a copy of the DC. If Raymond had married and you/she is in contact with his widow, the widow could apply for the records free of charge.

Failing all that, there are only a couple of years to wait until the 25th Anniversary of his death when you can apply yourself.

Dianne

Dianne Report 26 Apr 2014 02:45

Thank you again. I am in contact with Raymond's wife and I will ask her if she'd be good enough to enquire.