Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great Uncle John Fletcher.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 25 Apr 2014 22:45

My Great Uncle John fought in the First World War he joined the Durham Light
Infantry when 16 years old, his age was found out and he was discharged and
handed over to his father, he then joined the Highland Light Infantry at 17 and saw action in Flanders and France he was a Bantum 5' 3" and he was killed in
action on the 27th March 1918 he was 19 years old I am very proud that he was
my Great Uncle I have seen his Name honoured in Edinburgh Castle and on the
Arras Memorial, France. The question I was hoping some one can help me with is my sister told me she thought our Uncle was wounded, came home then was
sent back, but I have know way of knowing if this is true, on one of the papers I have it has down D/104 and B23 does anyone know what these terms mean as I
thought I had seen some where that B23 meant a soldier had been wounded, any help on this would be most appreciated, and has anyone else had a relative
in the First World War who was a Bantum.
Thanks
Jane.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2014 13:44

The D/104 and B23 are listed as Roll numbers on his medal card against the awards for the British and Victory medals. Could they be references to the entry numbers?

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 about John Fletcher
Name: John Fletcher
Regiment or Corps: Highland Light Infantry
Regimental Number: 202921

At a quick glance, I can't see his military records on Ancestry, either for the Durham Light Infantry or Highland Light Infantry. Between 60% and 70% were destroyed during WW2 bombing.

Have you thought of contacting the Royal Highland Regiments to see if they have copies?

Jane

Jane Report 26 Apr 2014 16:28

Thanks very much for getting back to me I have been in-touch with The Highland
Light Infantry who were very helpful about the battles the Bantam Regiment were
involved with and I also now have the War Diaries for his Regiment but as of yet
have not asked about the possibility that he couls have been injured but right and
sent back as its just recently my younger sister thought my dad had told her this,
I have done quite allot of digging with regards to my G Uncle John but have not
come accross what my sister said, also I have not heard any mention of the medals that his family must have received my GG Grandfather John Fletcher and
GG Grandmother Rebecca Fletcher and my dad who would have been the best person for me to ask is sadly no longer here, so I think I will take your advice and
get in-touch with The Highland Light Infantry Museam in Glasgow and see if they
have any records of him being wounded and if his medals were handed back to
his Regiment. Hoping one day his body will be found so he can have the burial he deserves.
Thanks once again for your helo.
Jane.

Jane

Jane Report 26 Apr 2014 16:30

Sorry should read Thanks once again for your help.
Jane.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2014 16:42

Hope you can track down his medals, but to be honest they were 2-a-penny. They were given to virtually everyone who served in WW1.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

If they weren't disposed of in a house move/clearance, they are more likely to have been passed to relatives.

As you have his service number, its always worth searching the internet - medals do come up on Auction Sites. You could purchase reproductions from various commercial organisations if you/the family wanted to.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2014 16:48

PM sent with image of the medal card. Although you may already have a copy, better two than none at all!

Jane

Jane Report 26 Apr 2014 17:01

Thanks for all the information you have given me, it sounds so awful when someone lost his life at 19 for his Country going from a Colliery Blacksmith
in a small County Durham village to a terrible War yet medals were 2-a -penny
it makes me want to cry. Its hard now that my dad is not here to ask questions
of but will give what you say a try.
Thankyou very much
Jane.

Duncan

Duncan Report 10 May 2014 11:21

Try finding more information though the Royal British Legion they may be able to help

Jane

Jane Report 22 May 2014 22:44

Thanks Duncan for your help.
Jane.