Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yeast Free Bread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 13 May 2014 17:10

A Mrs Maude Dickinson sent some long lasting yeast-free bread to France during WWI. Does anybody have any information concerning this?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 May 2014 18:00

Nothing obvious coming up on an internet search. What is the source for your statement?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 May 2014 13:47

Welcome to the Community boards Geoffrey.

I found this link where Maude Dickinson is mentioned but haven't read through the whole thing...

https://www.kshs.org/teachers/pdfs/food_in_kansas.pdf

I will let Geoffrey know that he has replies to his query. :-)

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 14 May 2014 14:19

Thank you both for your interest. The original source of my information is in a book by Frank A. Hotblack entitled, "A New Activity?", (Jarrold, 1920, p. 103)

Unfortunately, I made one mistake, the bread was sent to British prisoners of war in Germany and not to our troops in France. I quote,"Later, fifty-six loaves of bread made with the "New Activity" were sent to the British prisoners of war in Germany. The bread upon arrival, although then three weeks old, was so fresh that it could be not only eaten but thoroughly enjoyed."

I have found one or two references elsewhere, notably in an article written by the journalist, Cayley Calvert.

Regretably, the Kansas site does not help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 May 2014 17:00

As it is 'war' related, you could contact the Imperial War Museum and ask if they have any further information

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 14 May 2014 17:54

I contacted the Imperial War Museum some time ago, but no luck there, I'm afraid. However, I will try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 May 2014 18:14

What a shame. May be they can suggest someone else to ask?

Did the book you read quote the original source? Just a thought. Such a pity it was written so long ago: it isn't as if you could contact the author.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 May 2014 18:20

There is a site dedicated to WW1 called Www.1914-1918.net also known as The Long Long Trail. You could try asking on their forums.