Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

5th Fusiliers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 17 May 2014 05:57

My great-grandfather's occupation on his son William's birth certificate was "private in the 5th Fusiliers". This was in 1875. Does anyone have any information on the 5th Fusiliers? I haven't been able to find out much about this regiment. My great-grandfather was living in Edinburgh at the time. Thanks.

Maurice

Maurice Report 17 May 2014 10:09

Hi Linda,

Google the Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland.

The Fusiliers appear to have originally been called the Fifth Regiment of Foot.

They may be able to help you out.

Maurice.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 May 2014 13:53

Hi Linda,

Do you have any details on your great grandfather, name, birth year, birth place etc?

Linda

Linda Report 18 May 2014 05:13

My great-grandfather was William McBain, born in 1845 in Aberchirder, Banffshire. He moved to Edinburgh and married in 1869. In his marriage record, he was a police constable, but six years later in my grandfather's birth record he was a 5th fusilier. Then in the 1871 census, he was away from his family, and his wife and child were living with his mother-in-law. Over the next 10 years, he changed his occupation several times, as noted on his children's birth certificates. I've just always been curious as to his service with the fusiliers. There don't seem to have been any big campaigns during that time, but it would be interesting to know what he did during that time. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 May 2014 11:38

This record might well be his (on FMP)

First Name William<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Last Name McBain<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Age At Attestation Months -
Age At Attestation Years -
Record set British Army Service Records 1760-1915
Attestation Day 12
Attestation Month April
Year Of Birth -
Document Type Discharge
Year 1876
Birth Country -
Birth County -
Attestation Corps -
Birth Parish -
Attestation Soldier Number -
Birth Town -
Discharge Corps Northumberland Fusiliers - 5th Foot<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Discharge Soldier Number -
Rank -
Box 0223
Regiment Northumberland Fusiliers - 5th Foot<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Box Record Number -
Soldier Number -
Series WO121
Dataset Title Chelsea Pensioners discharge documents 1760-1887
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection Regimental & service records

Unfortunately it's just a list of discharges rather than an individual service record. The description of his character is not very flattering, but I guess there may have been more than one man of that name in the regiment.

If I'm reading the record right, he'd only served 1 yr 177 days when he was discharged 12th April 1876. It looks like the discharge was by purchase, i.e. he bought his way out of the army.

The short length of service might be in keeping with the pattern of constant occupation changes you mention.

He would also have escaped the regiment's involvement in the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War 1878-1880, which seems the closest period of military campaign to his period of service.

Will pm the image

I can't identify any other military records for him. The discharge by purchase might be the reason why:

"Before 1883 these service records are usually only for men who were discharged and received a pension. From 1883 to 1913 the series includes soldiers who were discharged to pension and those who were discharged for other reasons, such as termination of limited engagements or discharge by purchase."

Quote taken from the National Archives site:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-discharge-and-pension-records.htm