Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis Connolly(Conley)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bessiebennett

bessiebennett Report 20 May 2014 16:34

I am trying to confirm info re my Great Uncle, Francis Conolly (Conley), born 1874, Attercliffe, Sheffield, Yorkshire. He joined the Army in 1900 giving a false age and served in S.Africa. I have 2 service Nos: for Francis, 3294 and 20051 and different regiments. He does give his brother, Joseph's, address in Hulme, Manchester, at one period. Hoping someone can help?
Bessie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2014 22:57

What is it that you are trying to confirm? It is quite possible that he had two army numbers and that he served in two different regiments - men often did.

I am assuming that this is him in the 1881 census:-

First Name Last Name Relationship Condition Gender Age Year Of Birth Occupation Birth Place

PETER CHAS CONOLLY HEAD MARRIED Male 43 1838 RAILWAY CARRIAGE WHEELER IRELAND
ANN CONOLLY WIFE MARRIED Female 46 1835 - MANCHESTER, LANCASHIRE
JOHN CONOLLY SON SINGLE Male 18 1863 BUILDER (RAILWAY CARRIAGE) SHEFFIELD
MARY A CONOLLY DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 12 1869 - SHEFFIELD
JAMES CONOLLY SON SINGLE Male 14 1867 COACH TRIMMER (RAILWAY) SHEFFIELD
FRANCES CONOLLY DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 10 1871 SCHOLAR SHEFFIELD
FRANCIS CONOLLY SON SINGLE Male 8 1873 SCHOLAR SHEFFIELD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
JOSEPH CONOLLY SON SINGLE Male 5 1876 SCHOLAR SHEFFIELD

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 21 May 2014 14:22

Where have you got your info from? Is it from a service record? What are the two regiments?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 May 2014 14:52

There is this Boer war one for 3294 for F. Conley, but I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between that one and two other Boer War F Conleys?

Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902
First Name F
Last Name Conley
Soldier Number 3294<<<<<<<<<<<<
Rank Private
Regiment The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Year 1899-1902
Rolls Roll: 192
Units Unit: 1 The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Battalion, Rank: Private, Number: 3294
Record set Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain

The other two Boer war records...

First Name F
Last Name Conley
Soldier Number 2418
Rank Private
Regiment The King's Royal Rifle Corps
Year 1899-1902
Memorials Disappeared. Cathedral. Plaques. King's Royal Rifle Corps. Winchester, HAMPSHIRE, England
Units Unit: 1 The King's Royal Rifle Corps Battalion, Rank: Private, Number: 2418
Casualties Details: Disease on 16 December 1901 at De Aar (Official casualty roll location: De Aar)
Unit: The King's Royal Rifle Corps
Source: South African Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons
Gazetteer: [3024: 3009-2401] a town in the Cape Colony (De Aar district; Northern Cape). It was an important railway junction where the lines from Cape Town and Port Elizabeth* merged before going north to Kimberley* and Mafikeng (Mafeking*) and one of three concentration stations in the colony where equipment and supplies were stocked. It was also the point where the brigades and divisions commanded by Lt-Gen Lord Methuen were concentrated in November 1899 before moving north to the Modder River* . Maj-Gen Lord Kitchener was in De Aar on 1 March 1900 and again from 8 March to control operations in the area west of the line Cape Town-Kimberley being threatened by Cape rebels. HMG I pp.22 and 211 (map no.17), II pp.182 and 212.

First Name F
Last Name Conley
Soldier Number Unknown
Rank Private
Regiment Unknown
Year 1899-1902
Literary References South Africa and the Boer-British War: Hopkins 446
Notes Canadian
Units -

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 May 2014 15:06

Pension record for 3294:

British Army WWI Pension Records
Name: Francis Conley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Age at enlistment: 19
Birth Parish: Sheffield
Birth County: Yorkshire
Document Year: 1890
Regimental Number: 3294
Regiment Name: North Lancashire Regiment
Number of Images: 6

Enlistement Nov 1890, not 1900.

Recalled to army service 1899

Next of kin

Mother Ann

Bros James Joseph

Sisters Frances, Mary Ann

Had at least one Boer war medal - the Kings's Medal.

Gotta go out now

EDIT: This same record has a discharge for him from 14th Batt Kings L'pool Regt under the regimental no 20051 at Seaford Camp 2nd Oct 1914 as being medically unfit for further service.

His intended address was 3 Fishwright Street Liverpool.

In addition to his Boer War participation, he also served overseas in India 26.12.92 - 19.02.96

Potty

Potty Report 22 May 2014 11:43

Why have my post, Kathleen's and Kucinta's been RR'd? What did I post that was wrong?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 May 2014 12:41

Same question as Potty?

What boo boo did I make???? :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 May 2014 13:58

I'm asking myself the same thing.

Never been rr'd before so I suppose that is a first for me. Surely it can't be wrong to answer a query posted on here????

It's not surprising that these community boards seem to be dying a long, slow, drawn out death. Oh for a return to 2003 - 2006 when everything was busy and fast moving on here!!

Kath. x

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 May 2014 11:08

Well, I'm glad to see our posts have been reinstated :-)

Still can't see what prompted the RRr to hit the button... :-S

Potty

Potty Report 23 May 2014 11:31

Me neither, Kucinta.

Hear, hear, Kath!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 May 2014 11:40

Good to see the posts back. I really think GR should let you know why something is rr'd and whether it's by them or someone else and also what prompts them to either reinstate or leave deleted.

Would be good to see the original poster return to the thread.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 May 2014 21:51

It's very odd but there were quite a few posts reported (and promptly reinstated by GR) on the OP's other thread about different members of the same family.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1340428?page=1

At one time you did used to get an email from GR when you were RR'd but perhaps they don't bother now if they see the reporting was erroneous?