Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charged for a shroud in WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 28 May 2014 10:43

I was talking to an old lady recently who told me that when her uncle was killed in WW1, the family was charged 1s 6d for the blanket he was buried in. They still have the receipt as proof. I have never heard of this before, but it's hardly surprising that it's been swept under the carpet

It shocked and sickened me. Has anyone else come across this?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 May 2014 11:33

I've never heard of that practice before but if it's true I'd be as sickened and saddened as you. Wouldn't be surprised though.

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 31 May 2014 00:36

My Uncle was in the Far East during WW11

He told me that the same thing happened then as well.

He was very bitter about the practice, and with good reason

Allan

Sonya

Sonya Report 31 May 2014 11:07

Talk about adding insult to injury! Absolutely shameful.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 1 Jun 2014 11:47

It is something which was common practise many years ago, in Scotland at least (known as a Mortcloth or Lych cloth, http://freepages.folklore.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bldr/funerals.html ), but I have not heard of it carried out as recently as WW1...that surprised me!
I wonder if it was the fact that a piece of standard issue kit would not be returned to stores, you know, something along the lines of...
Blanket x 1, charge for the loss of.

P.S. Just found this by googling
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104193