Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Houdeng Goegnies - Belgium WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shrimp

Shrimp Report 8 Jun 2014 11:24

My father was in the Cambridgeshire Regiment and was based in Houdeng Goegnies in the Hainaut region of Belgium for quite a while.

I'm clutching at straws here, but I would love to hear from anyone who had a relative who was in Belgium with the Cambs or any other regiment, especially if they were based in or near to Houdeng.

Thanks, Shrimp

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jun 2014 15:16

One lead to follow would be the Regimental Diaries

these can be found in one of 3 places

1: The National Archive, Kew
2: The Imperial War Museum
3: Not given to either of the above, and kept in the Regimental Archives.

These would give you an idea of the day to day routine/fighting/work that was happening at the time.

Have you googled for an Old Comrades society?

Another place to post, is on ROOTSCHAT, it is FREE to join and is a Forum similar to this here one Genes (the only difference is there are no records or trees). And they have an excellent section dedicated to WW1 and WW2. And the people on there are great. I posted 2 photos that had been in Dads posession of an Unknown German pilot, not only did I get the Pilots name, but even a date of the photo. As said the guys (and I think it is mainly blokes) are amazing.

Good luck with your search
Do try. :-)