Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF Henlow Camp

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Effie

Effie Report 15 Jun 2014 02:15

My father was in the RAF for about 20yrs but I have not been able to find his number, I knew he became a Flight Seargeant and was stationed at Henlow Camp Bedfordshire. I believe he did go to Egypt but do not know how long for, not long I think. His name was Charles William Lewis Ott b.1907 Devonport Devon but he left home and went to live in Ealing London with his family when they moved to London. However his mother died when he was only about 12yrs old and when he was old enough left to join the RAF, but I would like to know more about him as he never spoke much when he was in the RAF. My Grandfather (his father) went to Devonport as he was in the Royal Navy (musician) and when he was on leave he was lodging at his future wife's home in Devonport Devon. His name was Charles Thomas Ott b.1877 London.I would be grateful if yu could help me in finding how I can find my father's RAF Number and Quadron.
Thank you
Effie Lewis (nee Ott)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jun 2014 08:45

HI Effie - as your father was in the Services post WW1, his service records will still be with the MOD.

You can order them at a cost of £30 using the forms on this link

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

There may be a wait of up to 9 months before they are issued.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jun 2014 10:45

This is the family in the 1911 census:-

First name(s) Last name Age Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Birth year Birth place Occupation

Charles T Ott 33 Head Married Male 1878 London Southwark Musician R M B Royal Navy
Ethel G Ott 25 Wife Married Female 1886 Devon Dartmouth -
Ethel R Ott 7 Daughter - Female 1904 Devon Devonport
Ivy M Ott 5 Daughter - Female 1906 Devon Devonport -
Charles W L Ott 3 Son - Male 1908 Devon Devonport

Married 7 years. 3 children who are all still living in 1911.

Address:- 9 Caroline Place, East Stonehouse, Devon.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jun 2014 10:47

This looks like his mother's death (so when your father was about 16 or 17):-

First name(s) ETHEL G
Last name OTT
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1885
Age 39
Death quarter 4
Death year 1924
District BRENTFORD
County Middlesex
Country England
Volume 3A
Page 158

Kath. x

Effie

Effie Report 15 Jun 2014 23:31

Thank you very much for your help regarding my Father's number and Squadron while he was in the RAF.Yes he would have been 17 yrs old when his Mother died.

I will get in touch about obtaining the number and Squadron.

Regards
Effie Lewis (nee Ott)