Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

richard skitt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 17 Jun 2014 22:33

can some one tell me about Richards WW1 service he was b sharlston wakefield/castleford1895 son of james/ellen he was a petty officer in RNVR he got wounded at galpoli [turckey],
and was mentioned in despatchs receiving commendation from general officer commanding QUOTE
FOR COURAGEOUS AND GALLANT CONDUCT IN THE FIELD<UNQUOTE what does all that mean,and how do I find out about it.
all I have been told that if that had happened after july 1916 he would have got the M.M.
he was in drakes bat reg No Kitchener p 460 he was killed at the somme 1917 gas
john

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jun 2014 22:53

If the records survived the bombing in WW2 they will be on Ancestry but that site is having problems today

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jun 2014 23:00

From FMP

First name Richard Last name Skitt
Service number Kitchener P/460
Rank or rating Petty Officer
Service branch Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Medals / clasps earned 1914-15 Star, Victory & British War Medals
How issued or disposed of Universal Legatee.
Remarks I.C. 10456/1917 Awards - Death year 1917 Death date 06/08/1917 Notes ex-16753 Private King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, enlisted 3/9/14 & transferred to RNVR at Crystal Palace 10/9/14 ; Drake Battalion D/1480 3/11/14 & Scout Section 9/1/15-24/5/15 wounded, rejoined
Cause Of Death Died of wounds at 9.30pm in 8th Casualty Clearing Station (Gassed).
Unit or regiment Drake Battalion Record set RNVR Other Ranks - Medal Rolls 1914-1920 Record type Records Category Military, armed forces & conflict Record collection First World War Collections from Great Britain

First Name Richard Last Name Skitt
Year Of Birth 1895 Birth Month Jul Birth Day 31
Year Of Death 1917 Death Date 06/08/1917
Birth Town Sharlstone Birth County Yorkshire
Birth Date/Place 31.7.95. Sharlstone, Wakefield, Yorks.
Cemetery Duisans British Cemetery, Etrum, France.
Cause Of Death Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.
Rank P.O. Service R.N.V.R. Section scan 10/0390
Relatives notified Father. James Skitt, 9, Fulford St., CASTLEFORD, Yorks. Decorations - Official Number K.P/460. Ship unit Drake Battalion Royal Naval Division Sdrfnbr 35839 Location Of Grave 6./B./14. Category Military, armed forces & conflict Record collection First World War Collections from Great Britain

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Jun 2014 23:02

????

First name(s) Richard
Last name Skitt
Birth year 1895
Birth day 31
Birth month Jul
Address 9 Fulford Street, Castleford, Yorkshire
Service number K.P/460
Service Royal Naval Division
National Archives Reference ADM339
Record set Royal Naval Division Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Father James Skitt

Religion C of E

Civil employment: Miner

Place of birth Sharlston, Wakefield, Yorks

Height: 5ft 5 7/8th in

Complexion: Rosy

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Tattoed dot left arm

EDiT: was typing when MarieCeleste posted.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Jun 2014 23:07

First Name Richard
Last Name Skitt
Year Of Birth 1895
Month of Birth 7
Date of Birth Day 31
Year Of Death 1917
Month of Death 8
Day of Death 6
Cause Of Death Died of wounds at 9.30pm in 8th Casualty Clearing Station (Gassed)
Year 1917
Number Kitchener P/460
Notes Drake Bn. War Diary 6/8/17:- "Enemy bombardment of ???? intensity at 2am. Gas shells on front line & Sunken Road. 1 Other Rank died from gas poisoning & 1 Other Rank gassed." ; 12/4/16 Awarded Cert. by GOC for Courageous & Gallant Conduct in the Field. ; A Miner ; b.Sharlstone, Wakefield, Yorks. 31/7/1895 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, James, 9 Filford St., Castleford, Yorks. ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Universal Legatee.
Unit Or Regiment Drake Bn.
Rank Petty Officer
Awards -
Service History ex-16753 Private King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, enlisted 3/9/14 & transferred to RNVR at Crystal Palace 10/9/14 ; Drake Bn. D/1480 3/11/14 & Scout Section 9/1/15-24/5/15 wounded, rejoined Drake Bn. 31/5/15-11/1/16 Septic cut right middle finger, rejoined Drake Bn. 20/3/16-6/8/17 DD.
Service Branch Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Burial Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun (FR 113)
Rnrfnbr 8320
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

also from FMP

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Jun 2014 07:27

http://www.jackclegg3.webspace.virginmedia.com/RNDplaquesS.htm

(and above, from google)

Chris :)

John

John Report 20 Jun 2014 21:19

THANKYOU ALL its great to know people can help you, this man Richard skitt is my wifes uncle, my mum in laws older brother a bit of the emails you guys sent I did not know about ,
Chris I have tried to copy what you have sent me, but the death penny did not copy I got the rest. I am not too bothered about the death penny as I have 2 one from my nan her bother killed on the somme and my dads uncle killed on the somme
,how can I find out about his award or as one of you said it is on ancestry[ I am a member] but it was said the germans bomded it and they are called the burnt records.
It must have been a hell of a battle both my g/dads were in it one was a vet in the rvc and the other john harper[same name as I] he was a royal welch fusilleer 1898-1906 joined leeds police 1907 WW1 started he said 1916 I want to go to war they said your too old [he was b 1880] I am x army I want to go he was let go he joined west yorks with the same rank he left the royal welch sergent grand summers came home 1918,g/dad harper came home 1918 a warrant officer first class I have been trying to get there records but know luck, I have got there medal rolls#
thank you again
john harper <3 ;-) <3