Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 22 Jun 2014 22:09

I recently visited The Australian National Archives to get the military records for my great uncle, who died with the ANZACs at Gallipoli in 1915. I was surprised to see that The Australian National Archives also have their WW2 records digitised and available to view. Isn't it about time that The MOD and Government got on with doing the same for British WW2 records?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jun 2014 22:33

I agree with you Trevor but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen!!

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2014 22:38

Yes it would Trevor, but one would guess that money is at the root of any delay. Despite our (compared to Australian) ease of access to BMD, some records are still protected.

All? most?of the British WW2 military personnel records are still with the MOD. That's why when someone asks for help tracing them, we direct them to the appropriate link.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

If memory is correct, the records will only be issued to the serviceman, his widow then in descending order his next of kin. Applications have to be supported by a DC if the service man/woman has passed away after his/her demob. They would have a record of death in service, but not necessarily if he died as a civilian.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jun 2014 22:49

Only Army records for those born 100 years ago or more can be freely available. Of course lots of men who served in WW2 were born after 1914

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Jun 2014 23:39

It would be useful Trevor, but who would fund it?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Jun 2014 23:50

Nobody will fund it for a few years - legislation prevents them being released at the moment

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Jun 2014 13:05

Welcome to the Community Boards Trevor.

I'll let Trevor know that he has replies to his query :-)