Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick Horton b. 1864 Topcliffe North Yorks.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

S

S Report 7 Jul 2014 18:12

F.H. was my maternal grandfather. He was born in Topcliffe, but by 1881 he and family was in Darlington. He joined Durham Light Infantry in 1882, served in Egypt and India, came out, served in the Corps of Commissionaires, but re-joined the colours for Boer War. His service number was 1581. I have his record (burnt record) which finishes after The 2nd Boer War. My mother (and my Aunt, her half-sister) both told me that he went back in to the army during WWI (about 1916, when he was 52.). I believe he signed on at the office in Westgate Road. By 1916 Frederick/Fred and family were living at 10 Bath Lane Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne (Near the Be-Ro factory, I believe). I was told he became a W.O. I or II (I have his army brassard, as issued to Senior W.O's, and a photo of him in WWI uniform (and he looks in his 50's) The photo was taken at Gale's studio, where my aunt, his daughter Lily Horton worked. perhaps she took the photo. As all my antecedents are deceased there is no-one to ask. I was told that he was stationed at Leazes Barracks, and may well have been in The Northumberland Fusiliers, but have no proof.

What I am wondering, is there a very kind person out there who would be prepared to go to the Central Library, and make a couple of checks for me in The Absent Voter's Registers to see if he served during WWI.

Secondly, is there anyone in the Alnwick area who could make an enquiry at The Northumberland Fusiliers Museum?

I would be most grateful I live in South Derbyshire, 12 miles south of Derby, so could help out this end if there was some reciprocal help that could be needed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

S. B.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jul 2014 22:13

Welcome to the boards S. B.

Sorry I can't help personally but you could contact the museum direct by email. I have found most military museum staff very helpful.

The contact details are here:-

http://www.northumberlandfusiliers.org.uk/contact.php

Kath. x p.s. My great grandma and my great, great grandma were both from Topcliffe.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Jul 2014 22:23

Hello, I'm not sure if you're aware but you now have to pay the entrance fee to Alnwick Castle to visit the Fusiliers Museum.

Also, from their website they are also quoting this:

"How do I go about carrying out my own research?
You can choose to come into the archive to research our resources yourself. The archive is available by appointment only throughout the year and a £20 facilities fee applies. This charge helps towards the costs associated with your visit including staff time and stewardship of the archives. You can also expect the occasional cup of coffee or tea to sustain you throughout the day! Further charges relating to the copying of documents, etc. may also apply."

If you wish their staff to carry out research for you they charge £35.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jul 2014 13:28

I'll advise SB on how to return and fine the replies. :-)

S

S Report 8 Jul 2014 18:48

Thanks to all for your replies. Northumberland Fusiliers reply, but do not do look-ups... I didn't realise about the costs involved, so it looks like I shall have to save some pennies, and pay a visit to Northumberland myself... Thanks once again for bothering to take the time to reply.

SB :-)