Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

kenya

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 18 Jul 2014 15:34

my dad did three years in Kenya would like to find out a little where do I start
regards lynn

patchem

patchem Report 18 Jul 2014 20:13

What personal knowledge other than 3 years in Kenya do you have - did he ever talk about it, and are there other family members who also know about him there?

What information have you got e.g. when? where? company? rank? job?

Try here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/africanforces.htm

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Jul 2014 04:48

thank you my dad Ronald woodhead was in Kenya fighting the mau mau national service. only told me the good bits when I was little not the very bad bits. of what he did I have a little card with a few numbers on Northumberland fusiliers I will look at the link you gave me thank you for your time lynn

patchem

patchem Report 19 Jul 2014 08:10

It depends whether you want to learn about the conflict, or about where your father was involved.

There is lots of information from google searches e.g.

http://britains-smallwars.com/kenya/Units.html

which states that the Northumberland fusiliers where there from 1953 to 1956

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Jul 2014 08:30

thank you will have a look

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jul 2014 11:53

His army records will be held in Glasgow, and can be obtained by family, they are free to his wife, but otherwise the cost is £30.00, and there is a waiting list, as all army records of serving members are also kept there and they take precedence.

However, you may find better information about the Mau Mau etc., via books etc.,

For what his regiment did on a day to day basis, the Regimental Diaries would be more useful, these are kept in one of 3 places.

1: Most are kept at the National Archives, Kew

2: Some are held at the Imperial War Museum

3: Some have been retained within the Regimental Archives/Museums