Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I.W.T.RE. inland water transport Royal Engineers.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 20 Jul 2014 10:56

My Grand Father served in the I.W.T. RE from 31st May 1915 in France, I have copy of service record, I can't find any info on what they did, he was Court martialled in Abbeville area in May 1918, RE Museum could not help as had very little info, Have tried various museums etc, but no luck.
Robert

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2014 15:41

An internet search for " I.W.T.RE. inland water transport Royal Engineers." brings up several general responses. Or where you wanting information directly relating to your grandfather's tasks?

If the RE museum hasn't any details, how about the Imperial War Museum?

If you know his company/regiment etc etc, you might be able to access the War Diaries via the National Archive site. There is an ongoing project involving transcribing/indexing them.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 1 Aug 2014 15:34

The title of the unit suggests that they dealt with military matters on inland waterways, and as the RE are 'what it says on the tin', ie., engineers, they were probably providing means of crossing rivers etc for the fighting troops

Helen

Helen Report 1 Aug 2014 21:57

Many thanks,, We have tried IWM again with little success. I'm hoping Kew may have the full court martial papers and will search engineers war diaries, his service record does not give unit/company etc
Have tried internet pages
Many thanks for your help

regards
Helen, Robert

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 1 Aug 2014 23:17

The court martial papers might be available but it will be a fairly mammoth search for probably not much info. Kew won't search, unless you want to pay them a fortune!