Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gladys E Reed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 27 Jul 2014 12:53

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich is looking for the above lady - anyone knowing her whereabouts please let me know. She was born around 1917 and lived in Southsea for many years. When she joined the Wrens (Womens Royal Naval Service) she sketched her work colleagues and gave some of them to the Museum (on show now July 2014).

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jul 2014 17:47

Is Reed her maiden or married name? If she was born around 1917 it is unlikely (although possible) that she is still alive.

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 27 Jul 2014 23:04

These are possible births if it was her maiden name:

Births Sep 1915
Reed Gladys E M Reed Saffron W
Births Sep 1916
Reed Gladys E Rayner Doncaster
Births Jun 1917
Reed Gladys E Huggett Croydon
Births Sep 1917
Reed Gladys E Page Portsmouth
Births Dec 1917
Reed Gladys E Bishop Hendon

So the Portsmouth birth looks like a good guess.

When you said that she lived in Southsea for many years - that would be until at least when? (So a marriage possible after that date?)

Marion

Marion Report 27 Jul 2014 23:50

Yes Reed was her maiden name (we think) as not many married ladies joined the Wrens in those days. Unfortunately we have nothing more about her and she may have married. I think she went to teach at Ashton under Lyne school of art after she left Southsea .

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2014 23:54

A search on Google suggests that she might have studied art in Portsmouth before the war and in 1947 when she offered the sketches to the museum she was living in Portsmouth

( quote)
The correspondence in the archive shows that in May 1947 Reed was living at Eastern Villas Road in Southsea, and she had served in the WRNS at HMS Eaglet in Liverpool as a wireless telegraph operator.

Old electoral lists would reveal her full name hopefully.

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jul 2014 00:14

Interesting birth registration.........?

Births Sep 1917

Elwell Gladys E ...Page Portsmouth 2b 534
Reed Gladys E ...Page Portsmouth 2b 534

Marion

Marion Report 28 Jul 2014 00:48

Yes thanks for your researches but the National Maritime Museum would like to find her now (she could still be alive) - they are looking for relatives or someone who knew her after the War. If you google her you can see her lovely sketches .

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jul 2014 01:43

They are great, aren't they and a real glimpse of the WRENs important contribution.

By finding possible half siblings or a full name of Gladys, we might find other family members at the same address, thus leading hopefully to living relatives or Gladys herself.
If I was in Hampshire, I'd look up ER lists in Portsmouth or Winchester.

Is it worth a plea in the local Portsmouth daily newspaper, - The News?

They would likely write an article for you or else they run a free 'Where Are They Now?' column.

Gwyn

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jul 2014 06:42

Marion,

To find her now, or her relatives, it helps to find her birth, which is why we do the researches.
Using her exact date of birth we can often find her death, regardless of her married name

Do you want to purchase the probable birth certificate to find out about that family and birth date?

Or the appeal in the local paper looks like a good bet, also the ER.

Marion

Marion Report 29 Jul 2014 17:34

Thanks for all your suggestions - yes the RM museum has tried advertising in Portsmouth newspapers. I will try the ER but as I mentioned I think she went up to Ashton under Lyne after Portsmouth.