Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the douglas family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Aug 2014 16:39

I am looking for any info on my late brother ,eric Vernon flavin douglas ,I was only a young teen ager when eric went in the army abt 1942were which army I do not no,,all I know he went in the army. if any one can give me any info on this .I would be very greatful,, Yvonne,

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Aug 2014 16:45

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

This site gives info on how to apply for WW2 service records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2014 20:33

Is this your brother's death? :-

First name(s) ERIC VERON F
Last name DOUGLAS
Gender Male
Birth day 24
Birth month 1
Birth year 1927
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1970
District SOUTHAMPTON
County Hampshire
Volume 6B
Page 1674

You will need his death certificate when applying for his army records. They cost around £30 and take several months to receive. If he was married and his widow applies for them they will be free of charge.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 3 Aug 2014 12:43

I wonder if this is his marriage - same area as death:

Marriages Dec 1958 (>99%)
DOUGLAS Eric V BEAVIS New Forest 6b 657 (Mary L Beavis)

If it is, there were two sons to the marriage - you will find their birth regs on freebmd.

You need to get the death cert to see who the informant was - not likely to have been one of the sons, they would have been too young.

Also, I think you need to be NOK to apply for Army records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Aug 2014 14:17

You don't actually have to be NOK to apply for the records. You just have to prove that you are related to the service man.

I was not next of kin when I applied for my father-in-law's records and I had no trouble getting them.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2014 17:42

To discover Mary's second name, you may have to purchase their MC from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If you haven't yet researched that side of the family, the cert would be helpful as it ought to give her age at marriage and, if known, her father's name.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 27 Apr 2015 14:38

hi ,eric veron flavin douglas that's his surname, not beavis,my late brother married mary beavis,,you have made a mistake,new forest, no eric lived in Southampton, Yvonne,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Apr 2015 15:47

Welcome back Yvonne

We know that Beavis wasn't his surname - its the way the records are laid out

(Surname) Douglas (first names) Eric V (married a lady with the surname) Beavis.

He may have LIVED in Southampton, but he married in the New Forest registration district. The following link gives the details of the Civil Parishes which make/made up the district. One of them may have been Mary's home parish
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/new%20forest.html

Were you aware that he had 2 sons? Might they be able to give you information about his military service?