Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JOHN PAWLEY from Fakenham Norfolk UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 4 Aug 2014 07:28

PAWLEY JOHN age 27 killed 11/08/1917 Private Norfolk Regiment 8th Bn Belgium '43701' YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Panel 4
SON OF WILLIAM AND SUSANNAH PAWLEY, OF QUAKER LANE, FAKENHAM, NORFOLK

Hello Folks, I am looking for help in locating as much info on the above for his 80+ relative who has been trying to find out more about her Uncle for years.

She has asked me if I can help, but all I have found is the above and his Medal card.
She has his death plaque as well. I have him on all of the Census’s, but would like to find out where and when he joined up, and anything else that might fill in the gaps.
There seems to be a lot of info on his brothers and cousins but not him, can you help please.

Best Regards
Irene

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2014 09:48

It could be that his records are amongst the +60% destroyed during WW2 bombing.

The National Archive are transcribing and indexing the Regimental Diaries. Although he is unlikely to be named, you might be able to find out what military action resulted in his death.

As his medal card only gives one service number, one could assume that all his Service was with the Norfolk Regiment.

Irene

Irene Report 4 Aug 2014 11:21

Many thanks for making contact, I really appreciate any help I can get, I did wonder if his records were destroyed myself.

I did have a look at National Archives, but to be honest I find it a very difficult site to manoeuvre through, so had to give up on it. I dont even know how long he was in the Army, I should imagine he would have joined up at the beginning.

Once again a big thank you.

Irene

Irene Report 4 Aug 2014 11:33

Many thanks for making contact, I really appreciate any help I can get, I did wonder if his records were destroyed myself.

I did have a look at National Archives, but to be honest I find it a very difficult site to manoeuvre through, so had to give up on it. I dont even know how long he was in the Army, I should imagine he would have joined up at the beginning.

Once again a big thank you.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Aug 2014 13:06

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Fakenham.html

(gives place of Enlistment as Fakenham on above)

Chris :)

Irene

Irene Report 4 Aug 2014 13:42

Many thanks for that Chris, just been and checked it, at least that's one little problem solved.

Cheers
Irene