Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

records that seem to have disappeared

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 5 Aug 2014 12:23

Does anyone know how I can access two particular forms of record that I saw on-line some years ago, but now can't find -
An active panoramic view of the memorial at Ploegsteert that allowed me to scroll round and view the panel that had my relative's name on it. I thought I had found it via the CWGC site.
The letter/telegram informing my Gt grandparents of the death of their son. I thought I had followed a link from CWGC but can't find that now. Have tried Forces War Records but limited info there.

all advice welcomed.

Potty

Potty Report 5 Aug 2014 13:51

Googling Ploegsteert brings up quite a few hints - you could try searching through them to see if you can find the right one.

Do you have the Service/Pension record for the man that died? Maybe the letter was in that.

Barbara

Barbara Report 5 Aug 2014 19:08

Thanks for the hint. No, I don't have a service record - because I can't find it now!
I'm assuming that the websites have been updated over the years and somethings are no longer accessible.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Aug 2014 20:14

Most of the surviving Army WW1 records are on Ancestry. For non-subscribers they can be searched for on the National Archives site with a pay-to-view link. As Potty says, a carbon copy for files might be amongst those.

If you'd like to give the details of your grt grt Uncle, someone with a sub could have a look.

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Aug 2014 01:08

RE "I'm assuming that the websites have been updated over the years and somethings are no longer accessible."

It's awfully difficult for things to vanish from the internet, although that might be the case for an interactive video. One can retrieve an terrible lot of stuff via the Wayback Machine - see:
https://archive.org/web/

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Aug 2014 08:37

Thank you Detective and mgnv - I have done the rounds of the easily accessible websites without success. I am hoping that if I look back through my written (!) notes I may get a clue to how I accessed the record of his enlistment. The Wayback Machine sounds fascinating, thanks for the link.