Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

KOYLI Dublin 1910-1914

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Aug 2014 11:52

My g uncle Arthur Firth joined the KOYLI in1910 in Woking after leaving the Gordon school.
I understand he was stationed in Dublin prior to being part of the Expeditionary Force who went to France around 15th August 1914.
He was killed at Mons 26th August 1914.
Trying to find him on the 1911 census & learn something about his time in the army prior to the war.
He was born in Barnsley, Yorkshire in 1893 & was sent to the Gordon school when he & his siblings were orphaned in 1907.
Have all his info prior to 1907 as well as that of his siblings from 1911 onwards.

Flip

Flip Report 25 Aug 2014 12:20

He was at Victoria Barracks, Cork on the 1911 census, with the rest of his regiment. I'm just trying to access the image - but it should be on the Ireland NA website.

A Firth
Birth Year:abt 1894
Residence Date:2 Apr 1911
Townland/Street:Victoria Barracks
District:Cork No. 3 Urban
County:Cork

Flip

Flip Report 25 Aug 2014 12:26

I've sent you a PM with the image. It is the KOYLI according to the first page in the set, and he is 58 on the lists, a "boy", and shoemaker - so I guess that's what they trained him for in school.

To get the full census go here:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Just search for A Firth, 17, Cork.

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Aug 2014 14:30

Thank you Flip.
Nailed him down at last!!!!!