Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick Arthur Molyneux

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JANICE

JANICE Report 29 Sep 2014 16:27

Please can anyone help me locate my Grandfathers military records, all I am able to find is the medal index cards transcription. He served in WW1 as a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery his service number was 147503. he lost an eye
at Robeque and always said he was very luck because the soldier who took over from him lost his life.
We believe he was in a field hospital and then transferred to a farm in Scotland to recover from his injuries.
He was born in 1898 in Birmingham and died in 1975 in Walsall, West Midlands.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Sep 2014 16:31

Unfortunately 70% of first world war service records were destroyed in a fire so they may not exist any more.

Findmypast only has his medal card.

Kath. x

JANICE

JANICE Report 29 Sep 2014 16:34

Hello Kath
Thank you for your prompt reply. I thought that may be the case as I have looked on various sites and can only find the medal card.
Thank again
Janice

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 29 Sep 2014 23:06

As he lost an eye, perhaps he received a pension. The Western Front Association hold pension cards so they might have something on him. They charge £25, whether a record is found or not

JANICE

JANICE Report 30 Sep 2014 15:17

Hello Annielaurie
Yes he did receive a pension, are the Western Front Association on line please.
Many thanks for your help
Janice

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Sep 2014 16:11

Here is a link to the Western Front website:-

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/

Kath. x

JANICE

JANICE Report 30 Sep 2014 16:40

Hello Kath
Thank you for the information
on the website