Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW 1 Medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 6 Oct 2014 12:23

My paternal grandfather was Willam Henry Smith born in 1884 in Leicester.

I have managed to find his service records, but in looking on different sites, the reg number is different; either 33987 or 1344494.

I have tried to find out if he was awarded any medals without success.

As my father is 88 in two weeks time, I had hoped to be able to share this information with him.

Unfortunately all records and if any medals were lost, after leaving service. All I know he spent time in Salonika, but shared very little with his family in later years.

As Smith is a very difficult name to research, can anyone advise how to check I have the correct number and if any medals were given.

Any advice would be appreciated

Angie

Potty

Potty Report 6 Oct 2014 13:31

Where did you find his service record? I cannot find a William Henry with those numbers in the Ancestry records. What was his wife's name?

Angela

Angela Report 6 Oct 2014 13:38

Florence Amelia.
I have looked on so many sites, not can't remember where I found them, as researching over several months.

I got his army record from ancestry, but drawn a blank since anywhere.
It may be he didn;t get a medal, but wanted to check to be sure.

I seem to be searching on different sites and joining up as a member, but not able to proceed, as certainly Smith hinders research!

Many thanks

Angie

Potty

Potty Report 6 Oct 2014 14:20

His medal card is on Ancestry - Reg No 134494 not 1344494!:

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Name:William H Smith
Regiment or Corps:Royal Army Medical Corps
Regimental Number:134494

He received the Victory and British medals

Gritty

Gritty Report 6 Oct 2014 17:10

His service record is on FMP:

irst name(s) William Henry
Last name Smith
Service number 134494
Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps
Unit / Battalion 67th General Hospital
Event year 1915
Age 31
Birth year 1884
Birth country Denmark<<<<Not sure why this is transcribed Denmark?? as original gives birth place as Leicester.
Residence town Macedonia
Residence county Leicestershire
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict

On enlistment he joined the Leicestershire Regiment (regiment no 33987) before being transferred to the Royal Army Medical Corps (regiment no 134494)

Angela

Angela Report 8 Oct 2014 11:11

Many thanks for all your help and information, which is much appreciated.