Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1 service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 3 Nov 2014 23:24

my daughter-in-laws grandfather enlisted in the Islington battalion of the Middlesex regiment with an official number but finished the war in the Kings Royal Rifles with a different number, was he discharged and re enlisted or were the regiments in some way amalgamated ?? has anyone any ideas? also having just downloaded his record from Ancestry it says that he deserted in September 1918 ! it doesn't appear that any action was taken over this - did the end of the war pre empt any repercussions ! would be delighted if anyone can shed any light on these .

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Nov 2014 11:12

Middlesex reg in WW1 got unindated with territorals and were transfered into other regiments and urged to sign on as a regular soldier due to the vast loss of front line men,,,,,,this will probally account for the two service numbers,,,,,,,,the desertion? perhaps he got loss of pay or reduced rations?

Jill

Jill Report 4 Nov 2014 20:10

thanks Kay....I have looked at military sites and got totally flummoxed by their hierarchy and how they worked, your suggestion about how he ended up with 2 numbers sounds entirely reasonable to me,