Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Navy in Victorian times

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 15 Nov 2014 11:24

My g grandfather was a Customs Officer & I always suspected he had previously been in the Navy because his 1st daughter was born in Leith.
The odd thing is that he only appears to have served for 3 years.
He signed on initially at age 20 in 1848 aboard th "Ocean" & was discharged in 1850 from the "Dasher"
I know he didn´t re join because I have him on all the censuses
Does anyone know why his service would have been so short.
The only thing I can think is that he had been injured because although he has been enumerated with his family in 1851 I think he was also enumerated as a hospital patient & I understand that the ship had been involved isn a skirmish in the West Indies.
Has anyone any idea how I could find out more detaails please.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Nov 2014 11:41

What was his name, and from which record(s) did you get the info re: his service?

Just so we don't dig the same stuff up!

wisechild

wisechild Report 15 Nov 2014 11:55

His name was William Henry Howlett. B 1828, Chelsea. Father Henry also Customs Officer although I think he was previously a Coastguard.
Info I have found was from Ancestry Uk Naval Officer & Ratings Service Record

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Nov 2014 13:03

Have you been able to trace the vessels Log books?

As visiting Kew (if they are there) would be rather difficult, you may have to pay a researcher

wisechild

wisechild Report 15 Nov 2014 13:38

No I haven´t looked for them, but have a friend who is also a genealogy buff who lves in Walthamstow.
Wnder if she fancies a day out? ;-) ;-)