Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Merchant Navy & Royal Navy service record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggietess

Maggietess Report 1 Dec 2014 19:58

Hi, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with figuring out what's going on with my grandfather's service record. We searched for his Merchant Seaman records and first of all they couldn't find him at all, then found his pouch at Kew but we were told it was empty.

We paid for a researcher who has sent us through some docs inluding his T124X showing his transfer to the Royal Navy from the Merchant Navy in 1942, however we believe he was in the MN from 1939 onwards. I have the copy of his Discharge form at end of the war that the researcher sent us a copy of but he/she has covered up the top of the page, blanking out records pre 1942.

It also shows his rank as remaining the same (asst steward) despite us knowing he was promoted to Petty Officer then Chief Petty Officer and having some photos of him in those uniforms. We also believe he was a gunner of some sort but as I say the records still say Asst Steward right to the end of his RN service.
It also shows beside some of his dates, a pay rise, with (AA) in brackets alongside the date. There's a suggestion online that this means Anti Aircraft, is this right?

All very confusing to a newbie researcher!

Anyone who can shed any light on any of this or how I'd confirm any of it/find the earlier MN records? Any and all help much appreciated! :-S

Allan

Allan Report 3 Dec 2014 03:26

A name would be helpful as would a service number if you have one :-)

Allan

Allan Report 3 Dec 2014 03:28

And my sincere apologies for my bad manners :-(

Welcome to GR :-)

Maggietess

Maggietess Report 3 Dec 2014 12:32

Sorry, I hadn't posted the name and number as I'm trying to research as a surprise for my father for Christmas and didn't want him sticking them into google before then and finding this! ;-) I've messaged you them.

We've been told by a researcher at Kew today that no more information than they have provided us is available "at this time" but that it "may become available in time". Does this mean some part of his early record 1939-42 is likely classified still and is why I can't seem to get my hands on it?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Dec 2014 16:08

AA alongside a payrise date is more likely to stand for Acting something - possibly Able Seaman, or his trade (Aircraftman?) although this seems unlikely if he was a steward in the MN.

Officers were promoted through the Ranks and Ratings were advanced through the Rates. To get advanced you had to pass the required exam/test, although in wartime this may have been a formality!! and a payrise usually went with the qualification.

To get properly advanced to your new rate (Able Seaman or Petty Officer for example) you had to formally request it, by presenting yourself in front of The Commanding Officer. This was frequently not possible and in the meantime you became an Acting whatever.

It could also happen the other way round - you got the formal advancement before you had the opportunity to go ashore to take a Course and the necessary exams. In wartime this was probably more frequent, as people got moved up into vacancies caused by death or injury.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. :-)

Maggietess

Maggietess Report 3 Dec 2014 20:41

Ah OK yes, this does make sense. We have photos of him on ship in able seaman uniform, then at later date in Petty Officer uniform and then what looks like Chief Petty Officer uniform, which fits with what he had told the family. He had said he was moved to do something on the guns on deck and over time that became his main role.
I'd guess it's possible then that some of this was never formalised and it was all acting up?
Thank you.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Dec 2014 22:43

Can you see his category badges? They are the badges that define his trade, and are on the right sleeve in AB and PO uniform, but on the jacket lapels in CPO uniform and therefore possibly easier to see.

Maggietess

Maggietess Report 4 Dec 2014 00:03

Andysmum we have been frustrated by the angle of photos. In one am sure of the po badge on cap but it cuts off before sleeves. In another later one I am convinced of cpo hat but person next to him is blocking sleeves. In another I can see double breasted jacket and gold buttons but can't make out the hat. However, we have just had confirmation of a VE Day photo that shows PO hat. Do we can date that and it fits with timeline. Not a one though has a clear shot of sleeve which has been driving me mad!!!