Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photos of WW1 Army Personnel...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zara

Zara Report 21 Dec 2014 13:58

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there would be photos of WW1 Army Personnel anywhere or how I would start to investigate if any existed of my Great Grandfather. He served in the 19th London Battalion and died in France in 1917. I have tracked down where he is buried and his medal record but would love to track down a photo of him. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Dec 2014 16:43

Might these be of help

http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/londonrgt-gw.php

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2014 22:00

If he had any siblings, track down their descendents. Its possible that they may be the custodians of any surviving photos.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Dec 2014 22:43

If his death was reported in his local newspaper, there may be a photo

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Dec 2014 16:17

Hello Zara and welcome to the Community boards.

(I'll let Zara know how to find her replies) :-)

Zara

Zara Report 22 Dec 2014 19:09

Thanks all. I've looked at the wartime memories project site, and it has lots of useful info but not a photo unfortunately.
I'll check out the local paper- hadn't thought of that one! Thanks. The story is all the more tragic as my Great Grandmother died in the Summer of that year whilst my Great Grandfather was in France- so my grandmother and siblings were orphaned in 1917...

Would The National Archive hold any photos? Would Army Battalions have had pictures of service personnel in their records?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2014 19:14

As you are probably aware, up to 70% of WW1 records have been destroyed. Of those that remain, none have a mug-shot attached. Consequently, if any have been taken, its probably rare for the person to be named

The Battalion might have a group photos (think class photos from school) but would you able to identify your g grandfather?

Zara

Zara Report 22 Dec 2014 20:12

Thanks 'DetEcTive'. I was aware some WW1 files had been destroyed but not so many. I don't have any idea what my G Grandfather looks like so wouldn't be able to identify him in a group shot :-(