Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Regiment WW1 Service Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 13 Jan 2015 07:27

Not having much luck trying to find my father in law's WW1 service records. Have just signed up for Military Records on GR but no luck finding anything.
William Hogarth Scott born 6/11/1893, Newington, Edinburgh. I have 2 soldier numbers of 32682 and 682 and understand that he enlisted in Lothians & Border Horse 20/1/1915 and was demobbed 1/8/1919. Other details - 2nd Lothian Border Horse #22017, 3rd Royal Scots #32682 and 2nd Gloucesters #31742. With all this information, I thought I would get somewhere.
Hoping someone can help in some way.

hscott21c

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jan 2015 09:45

About 70% of WW1 records were destroyed in a fire in WW2 so there is a chance that they do not exist.

I can't see anything for him on Findmypast.

Kath. x

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 13 Jan 2015 10:14

Kathleen

Thanks so much for looking. Do you think it worthwhile writing away to ?? National Archives, Glasgow? for the records, in case they haven't been transcribed.

hscott21c

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jan 2015 11:14

I'm not sure it would be worthwhile as I think all the records that survived were transcribed but it couldn't do any harm to try writing.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 13 Jan 2015 11:59

Can I ask where you obtained the above info from? This is the only medal card I can find for a William Scott with any of the above numbers - nothing at all for 32682 or 682.

Name:William Scott

Regiment or Corps:Border Regiment, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment

Regimental Number:22017, G/31742

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 13 Jan 2015 12:09

Many thanks for your responses so far.

We have William Hogarth Scott's medals and that's where the numbers were obtained from.

Potty

Potty Report 13 Jan 2015 12:31

How many medals do you have and are the regiments shown on them?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Jan 2015 17:56

WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

NAME: William H Scott
MILITARY YEAR: 1914-1920
MEDAL AWARDED: British War Medal and Victory Medal
REGIMENT OR CORPS: Gloucestershire Regiment
REGIMENTAL NUMBER: 31742
PREVIOUS UNITS: 1st. R. Scots. R. 32682 Pte., 2nd. Glouc. R. 31742

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 14 Jan 2015 09:49

Thanks GlitterBaby and Potty for your interest and help. We think we will now do a bit of research with the military research tips on this site regarding the regiments he fought with and see if we get any luck sending away for the service records.

I suppose we will find out how he came to be serving in a Scottish and a British regiment.

hscott21c

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 14 Jan 2015 22:58

You can't send away for his service records. if they have survived, they will be on the Ancestry and FindMyPast websites. Men were sent where they were needed - no real explanation of why he would have been transferred from one regiment to another.

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 15 Jan 2015 09:55

Thanks annielaurie. Getting some good information here.

Potty

Potty Report 15 Jan 2015 11:50

This is getting a bit confusing - I am wondering if there were 2 William Scotts with similar regimental nos. Below is the Medal Rolls entry for the William Scott's medal card I posted above (page no ties up with the one on the Medal card):

Name:William Scott
Military Year:1914-1920
Medal Awarded:British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment
Regimental Number:G/31742
Previous Units:2/Bord R 22017 Pte, 8/Bord R 22017 Pte, 6/RWK. G/31742

There are 7 men on the page and all of them had previously served in various divisions of the Border Regiment.

I can't find a medal card to tie up with the Medal Roll record that GlitterBaby posted.

Can I ask where you got the enlistment and demobilisation dates from and can you identify the medals you have.

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 24 Jan 2015 04:33

Thanks Potty the info from Glitterbaby seems correct. The enlistment and demob dates are in my fathers war bible .and where he fought ie Mesopotamia and Salonika but not which regiments he was with at the time.Thank you for your help .