Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 28 Aug 2015 14:21

I have been trying to find out more on my Grandfathers World War 2 days and think I may have come up with something..

Frank Lawson Smart
service # 2136274
Rank Sapper
Unit Royal Engineer

Thankyou

Potty

Potty Report 28 Aug 2015 15:28

WW2 records are not available online. This site gives details of how to get them but they can take months to come:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 5 Sep 2015 13:04

Found this on war force records

First Name: F L
Surname: Smart
Date of Action: 23/10/194?
Fate: Wounded
Incident Details: Reported to War Office Casualty Section for the 24 hours ended 09:00.
Incident Date: 12/11/1942
Information: Casualty List No. 979. Original source recorded casualty date as 23/24.10.42.
Service Number: 2136274
Duty Location: Western Desert
Campaign Medals:
War Medal 1939-1945

war medal 1939-1945As with most Armed Forces Serving Personal during the conflict of World War Two, F L Smart was entitled to the War Medal 1939-1945. This medal was awarded to all full time service personnel who had completed 28 days service between 3rd September 1939 and the 2nd September 1945. Eligible personnel who had been “Mentioned In Despatches” during the War were entitled to wear a bronze oak leaf emblem on the ribbon. Those eligible for a campaign star, yet who had their service cut short by death, wounds or capture by the enemy, still qualified for this medal.
Buy Medals

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 5 Sep 2015 15:37

Gail
I didnt find him with his full name.. i tried but couldnt locate him so put in his service number and this is what came up...

i have copied a bit more for you...

Royal Engineers during World War 2

Royal Engineers Maybe the most, greatest achievements of the RE’s were the construction and operation of the Mulberry Harbour its support for the Battle of Normandy 1944.
See more information on Royal Engineers