Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Beesley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 8 Sep 2015 16:04

My Grandad, born 1888. Have him enlisting with 3rd South Staffs Regiment in 1906. Believe he was in WW1 but can find nothing.
!911 census has him living Frederick Street, Walsall, with Wife and son.
anyone help please?
John Fitzmaurice.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Sep 2015 17:54

Around 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed in WW2 so there is the possibility that they no longer exist.

I can't find his records on Findmypast.

Kath. x

John

John Report 8 Sep 2015 18:47

thanks for trying Kath.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Sep 2015 08:20

John I found several Joseph Beesleys on the medal roll but none in any Staffs Regiments. They were moved around a lot and service numbers altered as they moved regiments so it could be difficult to prove any were your granddad.

My grandfather, also a Joseph and from Walsall, did the same and from the paperwork it seemed to be in a territorial roll, he joined about the same time at Lichfield. He was with his parents in 1911 and married my gran in 1912. I can't find him in WW1.

I know Frederick St, which end did they live at, canal end or towards the town? I'm from the Birchills myself so lived not far from Frederick St. The foundries were all along Pleck Rd and the leather works near the bottom of Frederick St, did he work at either?

John

John Report 9 Sep 2015 14:50

Hi PatinCyprus (??) What do I call you? My Grandad was resident at 59 Frederick Street. Don`t know which end that was and it gives his trade as Blacksmith Mountings Forger.
He enlisted in 3rd South Staffs Regiment on 27th March 1906, but by 1911 was in Frederick street with Nan and their first son, my uncle, who was I year old. So wil assume they were married circa 1909/10. Think I will look for their marriage for the moment.
Thanks for info, does Cyprus suggest that is where you are as I served there in the late 1950`s. Thanks again. John

safc

safc Report 9 Sep 2015 15:14

Marriages Jun 1909 (>99%)
BEESLEY Joseph Walsall 6b 1193
FENCOTT Lillie Cecilia Walsall 6b 1193
WILSON Alice Walsall 6b 1193

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Sep 2015 15:30

59 is towards the canal end and nearer Pleck Rd than town.

I am Pat, born in Walsall served in WRAF and sent out here in 1970. Left in 1973 having married and had our 1st child out here.

OH was made redundant in 2004 so we came to live here 2005.

Which service were you, National Service I assume in the 50's? Family friend called George Bradley was out here in the late 50s in the army, I was given our Walsall Observer to put in the post box every Sunday afternoon, on my way to Sunday school, for George. :-)

John

John Report 9 Sep 2015 16:33

Thank you for that safc, it is correct with the names as my mother was named after Lillie.
Thanks
John

John

John Report 9 Sep 2015 16:46

Pat I was in Radio Technician in Royal Signals from 1956 to 1959, most of it at 4 mile point Famagusta. Loved it, but decided to come out after 3 years as circumstances had changed. Volunteered as breaking my apprenticeship meant I would have been called up anyway
Lived in the Delves Walsall at the time.
Have been back a few times on holiday.
Well served you, am currently into a thing called Ride To The Wall on 3rd October where 10,000 plus bikers ride from all over the country to National Memorial Arboretum to remember those who are no longer with us, injured and those still serving. Very moving day.
john :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 9 Sep 2015 21:51

The 1906 records say he was a bail maker when he enlisted, aged 17 yrs 10 months, address 7 Navigation St. Father Samuel, mother Ruth, brothers Samuel and Ernest, sisters Louisa and Dora.

Not sure from image whether discharged 10.12.09, or 10.09.12.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Sep 2015 09:04

He didn't move far then as Frederick St runs into Navigation St towards the town centre. Navigation St not far from the new art gallery.

John

John Report 10 Sep 2015 14:47

Thanks Kucinta, where did you find that. It does tally with family tree I have.
John

safc

safc Report 10 Sep 2015 15:18

Staffordshire marriages Transcription
Print transcription View image Attach to tree
First name(s) Ruth
Last name Wainwright
Age 17
Birth year 1868
Marriage year 1885
Marriage date 13 Apr 1885
Marriage place Bradley, St Martin
Denomination Anglican
Residence Bilston
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Walker
Spouse's first name(s) Samuel
Spouse's last name Beasley
Spouse's age 22
Spouse's residence Bilston
Spouse's father's first name(s) Henry
Spouse's father's last name Beasley
County Staffordshire
Country England
Archive reference D5511/1/9
Page 157
Register type Marriage
Record set Staffordshire marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

safc

safc Report 10 Sep 2015 15:18

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Ann Street, Rushall, Walsall, Staffordshire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas H Clake Head Married Male 23 1868 Labourer Walsall, Staffordshire, England
Transcription
Elizabeth Clake Wife Married Female 25 1866 - Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Transcription
Samuel T Beasley Lodger Married Male 28 1863 Labourer Short Heath, Staffordshire, England
Transcription
Ruth Beasley Lodger Married Female 25 1866 - Staffordshire, England
Transcription
Joseph Beasley Lodger - Male 2 1889 - Walsall, Staffordshire, England
Transcription
Louisa Beasley Lodger - Female 0 1891 - Walsall, Staffordshire, England

John

John Report 10 Sep 2015 19:11

Thanks for all that safc. Appreciate it.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 10 Sep 2015 20:20

Hi John, found the information in some military records on FMP but not ones for WWI, will pm images.

First name(s) JOSEPH
Last name BEESLEY
Birth year 1889
Birth parish BIRCHILLS
Birth town WALSALL
Birth county STAFFORDSHIRE
Birth country ENGLAND
Service number 7968
Rank -
Regiment -
Document Type Attestation
Attestation year 1906
Attestation Day 27
Attestation Month 3
Attestation age years 17
Attestation age months 10
Attestation Corps 3RD S S REGT
Attestation service number 7968
Series WO96 militia service records 1806-1915
Box 655
Box Record Number 77
Record set British Army Service Records 1760-1915

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 10 Sep 2015 20:33

Looking at the first page of the records, it looks like Joseph's free discharge was dated 10.12.09.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 10 Sep 2015 20:47

In census 1911 he is Joseph John Beesley, just in case that might help identify medal card etc.

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census

59 Frederick Street Walsall Staffordshire, Walsall, Staffordshire, England

Joseph John Beesley Head Married Male Blacksmith Mountings Forger 23 1888 Walsall South Staffordshire
Lillie Cecilia Beesley Wife Married Female - 20 1891 Wolverhampton Staffordshire
Wilfred Beesley Son - Male - 1 1910 Walsall Staffordshire

Death:

Name: Joseph John Beesley
Birth Date: 29 May 1888<<<<<<<<<<<
Date of Registration: Dec 1973
Age at Death: 85
Registration district: Walsall
Inferred County: Staffordshire
Volume: 9b
Page: 1887

John

John Report 17 Sep 2015 12:52

Kucinta thank you. Sorry didn`t reply earlier as do not put computer on to look everyday and am currently decorating. Looks good will study later. Thanks again.
John

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Sep 2015 16:51

Happy to help :-)