Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Army Service corps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneL

JaneL Report 6 Oct 2015 14:11

My grandad , William Griffiths, (born c1902) served in the RASC during WW2 and was evacuated from Dunkirk before going on to serve in Burma. He was wounded twice but survived the war dying in about 1970. I'd love to find his service record but although I have his service no. I understand I ned a copy of his death cert to apply for it. He died in Heswall Hospital on the Wirral. Can any members help point me in the riight direction please ,thanks a lot. Jane Lindo

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2015 17:19

Welcome to the boards Jane.

This looks like the reference for his death certificate (it will cost £9.25p online from the GRO in Southport):- This is the web address:-

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

First name(s) WILLIAM
Last name GRIFFITHS
Gender Male
Birth day 17
Birth month 12
Birth year 1902
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1970
District WIRRAL
County Cheshire
Volume 10A
Page 1923
Country England

When you have that you will need to apply to the MOD for his service records as WW2 records are not online. They cost £30.

Have a look here for how to apply for them:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

There is another death in the Wirrall of a William Griffiths born 1902 and died 1968 but this one had a middle initial which you don't give so I'm assuming the one I've posted is your man. Let me know if you need the other death reference.

Kath. x

JaneL

JaneL Report 6 Oct 2015 19:31

Hi Kath, that's great, thanks very much. I don't know if he did have a middle name so its a bit of a punt but I'll send off for the certificate and see.
I'm meeting up with my cousins on the Wirral later in the month so hoping to get some further info which may help my research.

Thanks again, really good of you to help.

Jane
:-)