Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant Navy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Oct 2015 19:07

Hi, my uncle was in the Merchant Navy during WW11. Does anyone know how I can find out what ship/s he was on.
Many thanks
Pat

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2015 19:14

From the national archives

The Central Indexed Register of Merchant Seamen (1918-1941)

Search and download registry cards of merchant seamen employed between 1918 and 1941 (BT 348, BT 349 and BT 350) on findmypast.co.uk (£). The originals are held by Southampton Archives.

For details of what sort of information the records may provide read the descriptions of BT 348, BT 349 and BT 350 in Discovery, our catalogue.

Second World War medals

Search and download (£) records of Second World War medals issued to merchant seamen (BT 395) on our website.

What records can I find at The National Archives at Kew?
Seamen’s pouches (1941-1972)

Search Discovery, our catalogue, by name in BT 372 and BT 391 to see if a seamans pouch survives. Not every pouch survives and many were destroyed before transfer.

Seamen’s pouches are also available for the Second World War period arranged in alphabetical ranges in BT 390.

There is also a box to search with surname and yob.
(copy and paste both lines)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/
research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-after-1917/

Many GR members also have a sub to Findmypast and would be happy to look him up.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Oct 2015 20:04

I found mine on FMP
and when I printed it

On the bottom was his photo I was well chuffed :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2015 10:56

Copied from original thread on General

maggiewinchester 9 Oct 2015 10:41

This is a good website (it's where I got Southampton archives contact from)

http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/the-merchant-navy/research-guide-c13-the-merchant-navy-tracing-merchant-seamen-sources-of-information-in-the-national-maritime-museum