Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family history help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

matthew

matthew Report 17 Oct 2015 18:11

Hi, guys, before my ancestry subscription expired I managed to print off my granddad and several other family member war records before moving onto findmypast and finding more not on ancestry but I only have paypal and no credit card, could someone please send me the image/s of the following attestation papers or their service numbers there so I can write off to Glasgow where all surviving service men's papers are stored.
John James Stokes 1905-1943, royal artillery attestation papers 1935
Samuel Hayward Stokes 1909-1946 royal artillery attestation papers (also his baptism record Doncaster st james)
Sidney stokes 1919-1994 royal artillery attestation papers
Bruce Edwin Kingdon born 1919, died 1944
Unsure about this one but my great granddad served in the sea merchants and there's a record of john kingdon born barnstaple 1855 sea merchant record in1873 that matches his father.
I know I'm being cheeky in asking for help getting these but any assistance is greatly appreciated. Best.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Oct 2015 19:49

Check that you are entitled to send for the records
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Bruce is on the CWGC site
KINGDON, BRUCE EDWIN

Service No:4692108
Date of Death: 12/04/1944
Regiment/Service:King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1/4th Bn.
Grave Reference:Sec. R. Grave 131.
Cemetery: CASTLEFORD NEW CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Son of George and Lily Kingdon, of Castleford.

If you're interested, you can request a photo of the headstone from

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2720659
for a donation of £3.50

Sorry, don't have a sub to FMP. It might be best if you added that to your title.
As long as you have the exact date of birth, you may get away without reference numbers

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Oct 2015 21:48

As an aside, I think you can only purchase the records by cheque. They are £30 per set.
Since so many sites require a credit or debit card, have you considered loading money onto a prepaid card? Moneysupermarket lists a few providers
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/

TBH, we link our pay-pal account to a credit card. It provides an extra layer of security. We never charge against it unless we know we have the cash & it gets paid off when the bill comes in.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Oct 2015 15:06

First name(s) John James
Last name Stokes
Age -
Birth year -
Birth place -
Attestation year 1935
Service number 846805<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Former service number -
Record set Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942

First name(s) Samuel H.
Last name Stokes
Age -
Birth year -
Birth place -
Attestation year 1941
Service number 1796233<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Former service number -
Record set Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Oct 2015 15:11

First name(s) Samuel Hayward
Last name Stokes
Baptism year 1909
Baptism date 07 Feb 1909
Baptism place Doncaster, St James
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Stephen
Mother's first name(s) Hannah
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country England
Archive Doncaster Archives
Page 18
Record set Yorkshire Baptisms

Address 5 Kellam St. father a railway labourer. No birthdate given.

matthew

matthew Report 18 Oct 2015 15:38

Thanks for your usual awesomeness, guys. I've had some crossed wires with the military record service before, I trusted £30 to the royal mail delivery then the Glasgow record office phoned me back last month saying my order was being returned for sending the wrong paperwork in even though I emailed the office beforehand who told me to send exactly that. Oh, well, I'll keep trying to flesh out my descendants military history. Best