Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

storm band members based in cyprus 1972-1974

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 13 Jan 2016 19:05

It is my dads 70th this year he was in the army and based in Cyprus in the early 70's, He was in a band called storm, I am trying to locate other band members to reunite at a surprise party in May 2016 . I am looking for Robert Wilkinson (bob the foot) a corporal in the R.A.F. Ian Town an L.A.C in The R.A.F, also tony Buxton & Glen Campbell, if anyone knows them or this is you please message me

Regards
Sharon Coates

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jan 2016 22:22

Have you tried using the ForcesReunited website?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jan 2016 00:55

You could try searching this site (Search all members trees - top right under 'search') but with a wide range for the year of birth. An alternative for Tony might be Antony or Anthony.

If any of the names are listed, even if the presumed yob is a bit out, send the tree owner a message to ask if they may have been in the RAF.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Jan 2016 12:07

Welcome to the Community boards Sharon.

(I'll let Sharon know how to find her replies) :-)

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Jan 2016 13:12

hi everyone, ty for the advice, i have not used the forces reunited, so will do that, I am sending messages to everyone on here with a reletives with same name and similar age, i know where some of them are from but not all. any advice is welcome so thank you xx :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Jan 2016 15:45

There are lots of ex service people retired here in Cyprus Sharon. It is a possibility that some of the group may be here. Names aren't known by me but there are so many Brits here.

Have you tried Face Book as lots of people out here use it to keep in touch with people in the UK.

Hope this helps :-)

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Jan 2016 22:45

thank you Patincyprus,I am trying with FB x

Sharon

Sharon Report 15 Jan 2016 01:34

omg I have found Ian Town on forces reunited but cannot message him without subscribing not sure what to do next ???

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2016 10:43

Subscribe? ;-) :-) Do they have a 'free trial'?

If you're lucky a GR member who subscribes to Forces Reunited might spot this thread and message on your behalf. Don't hold your breath though.

Sharon

Sharon Report 15 Jan 2016 17:17

ty DetEcTive heres hoping : D

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Jan 2016 19:35

I have found Ian Town, and Glens surname is actually Thompson, I have a picture but I don't know how yo upload it on to this site or even if I can any idea? :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jan 2016 20:41

Reposted as a new thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1357481

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Jan 2016 21:16

:-) ty

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2016 11:23

Which end of the island were they based ?

I know some people who served in Cyprus around that time.

Did they leave because of the Greek / Turkish troubles or were they just posted elsewhere?

Sharon

Sharon Report 21 Jan 2016 16:40

hi Gwyn, we were based in episkopi and we were there during the troubles, My father had a new posting in 76 Im not sure about the others but Storm was about from 1972

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Jan 2016 09:42

You were in the Western SBA area near Limassol. RAF Episkopi (HQ NEAF) with RAF Akrotiri just up the road.

RAF Episkopi now Joint Forces Episkopi. We were out in 70 - 73. Both at RAF Episkopi. OH 112 Sqn. In 1972 I was based in Limassol at the Families Medical/Dental Centre in the NAAFI area.

Have asked OH but neither know any of the names.

Sharon

Sharon Report 23 Jan 2016 22:30

Ty for asking my mum and dad are Allen and Eileen Coates x

Sharon

Sharon Report 12 Apr 2016 16:28

We have managed to find and talk to Ian Town and Terry Huckstep, still desperately trying to find Robert (bob) wilkinson and Barry Fryett if anyone has any updates?