Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 service and POW records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 24 Jan 2016 18:51

My grandfather, Charles Henry Seymour (1897-1979) served in WW1 but I don't know what regiment he was in nor does anyone else in the family. He also said he was captured and held as a POW but, again, no-one seems to know any details. I have checked the ICRC records and the only Seymours are definitely not him. He always said he was a cook but that could be with any regiment I assume. I know many records were destroyed in 1940. Has anybody got any ideas where I can start looking, particularly online, for his records? He was born in Kent but was living in Fulham at the outbreak of war.
Thanks in advance

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jan 2016 20:20

Welcome to the boards Janice.

Was he in WW2 as well?

There is this one on Findmypast:-

Prisoners of War 1715-1945 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) Charles Henry
Last name Seymour
Year 1944
Nationality British
Service number 7584031
Rank Sergeant
Regiment -
Prison camp or ship Malaya PoW camp
Country of imprisonment Malaya
Conflict World War 2
Archive reference WO 361/1948
Document details Malaya POW Camp Name list
Record set Prisoners of War 1715-1945
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & service records
Collections from Great Britain

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jan 2016 20:32

Is this him in the 1911 census? :-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
4 Mablethorpe Road Fulham S W, Fulham, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

George Seymour Head Married Male Horsekeeper Branch N K 45 1866 Surrey Carshalton
Bessie Seymour Wife Married Female - 41 1870 Cornwall Silverwell
Edward George Seymour Son Single Male Milk Boy 16 1895 Kent Beckenham
Charles Henry Seymour Son Single Male School 13 1898 Kent Beckenham<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Edith Seymour Daughter Single Female School 10 1901 Kent Beckenham

Kath. x

Janice

Janice Report 24 Jan 2016 21:38

Hi Kathleen
Thanks for your response. No he wasn't in WW2 and yes that's him in 1911 census. At the outbreak of WW1 the family were living at 13F Kingwood Road Fulham. I've got all the details of his brother, Edward George, during the war. He was killed in 1916 so records have pretty easy to find. Apparently Charles wasn't in the same regiment though

David

David Report 9 Feb 2016 18:21

Name: Charles Henry Seymour
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)
Regimental Number: 261526
Sub Unit: Royal Field Artillery
Previous Units: R.F.A. 261526 Gnr
or
Name: Charles Hy Seymour
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: London Regiment
Regimental Number: 201469
Sub Unit: 1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)
Previous Units: 1 Lond. R. Pte. 3923

?

Janice

Janice Report 10 Feb 2016 10:25

Hi David

I'm pleased to say that I've have found him now (actually someone else found him for me last week). He's the 2nd one you found (London Regiment)
Despite spending weeks of research and going through all the Seymours on the ICRC site at least three times, I still managed to miss him. He was there though, taken prisoner March 1918. . it's lovely to be able to fill in the gaps now

Thanks for your time

David

David Report 10 Feb 2016 14:01

No problem, got that from military section on ancestry. Only took a few minits .