Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kenneth Scragg

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GAZA492002

GAZA492002 Report 20 Feb 2016 14:15

The above is my father who joined the Army from Penkull children's home as a "14 year old boy soldier" in the 1930's yet enquiries via various military and genealogy sites seems to suggest there is no such record of him!
He was in the Staffordshire Regiment up to his de-mob in 1949 having spent most of his service in India and I am bemused why they seem to have forgotten him - unless, of course, someone can point me in the right direction please.
Gary

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Feb 2016 15:22

He is not forgotten. Records of service from just after WW1 are still with MOD and not on-line.

They will cost £30 unless your mother is still alive then they are free.

The info is here

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

:-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Feb 2016 17:25

Welcome to the Community boards Gary.

(I'll let Gary know how to find his replies) :-)