Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 25 Feb 2016 12:02

My Uncle was killed at Eypes .Could anyone tell me if I can buy replacement medals given to him.
:-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Feb 2016 12:15

I don't think you can buy replacements from the M.O.D. (although I may be wrong).

You can however buy replicas from private firms who do this. My son bought me a framed set of replica medals that my great uncle won in WW1 including the death plaque. The set of three medals look lovely and they are in a frame with period glass. I can't remember where he bought them from but I can ask him tonight and let you know.

I'm sure if you google replica medals you will find places that sell them.

Kath. x

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 3 Mar 2016 20:29

I have a feeling that you can get them replaced if you can prove that they have been stolen. Do you know if his next of kin claimed them? If they were never issued, a direct descendent can claim them. I am fortunate to have my grandfather's medals from WW1, and my own father's and an uncle's medals from WW11. And of course my own. I will put them in a display case one day.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Mar 2016 15:47

You can't get replacements for WW1, but you can for WW2 in certain circumstances.

http://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/565/~/can-i-get-replacements-for-lost-medals%3F

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Mar 2016 21:58

you can buy replica's through the forces war records site, they use a MOD approved supplier. They cost £30 each. Great site my great uncle's record said died of wound., on the site I found out exactly what his wounds were

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Mar 2016 09:31

Forces War Records are actually charging £36 each for the Victory and British War Medals and £30 for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star.

This is also a good reputable site for replica medals:

https://www.empiremedals.com/collections/world-war-i-medals