Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Pendleton Royal Navy 1970,s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bob

Bob Report 4 Dec 2016 15:40

Trying to contact for an oppo . in R N 1970,s wanted to be a clearance diver ,but failed in tests, but did become a ships diver so his oppo says.
may have come from the Leicester area, was married. think her name could be Jill
Thanks Bob Bromley

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Dec 2016 10:48

Do you have any idea when he might have been born?
Would he have been married when he applied for the course, or was that afterwards?

FreeBmd show 20+ John Pendletons' born 1940-1955, none with an obvious Leicester connection, but then he could have moved there after his birth.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Dec 2016 14:50

There are several associations for RN divers. As you are calling him an oppo, I guess he was a rating and not an officer. (For the uninitiated, an oppo is naval slang for a friend, short for opposite number.)

This link is for a site you can search without joining. I can't see a John Pendleton, either living or dead, but you might recognise other names and they all have email addresses.

http://navydivers.net/rollCall.html

Good luck.

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Dec 2016 17:34

You could try - https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Dec 2016 01:05

As Bob sent a PM, I've asked him to reply on the thread. That way everyone knows that he has seen the suggestions.

Additional bits of info about John Pendleton might help others to come up with alternative suggestions.
eg - Bob is aware of the entries on Freebmd. It would help if you could give any indication of age/yob and if he was already married to Jill when your friend knew him.

Jill could be short for Gillian!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Dec 2016 14:40

I also had a pm, copied below.

Thanks for replying Pendleton was married as I said in my post .Saw all Pendleton shown on Free B M + Ds mostly from Liverpool area .not any of my oppo,s thanks anyway ,will keep looking.