Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Geoffrey Pullan in RAF 1946 EGYPT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 17 Jan 2023 20:30

Hello

My Dad was called up in January 1946 aged 18 to the RAF he was in Cyprus and Port Said in Egypt

He was an Aircraft Engineer and I have a his beautiful leather bound photo album
with photos of him in his uniform and lots of photos of planes from that time

What I'm trying to find out is his Squadron Number ? And I have no idea where to start

Thanks in Advance
Sue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Jan 2023 20:51

This link may help:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-air-force-personnel/

And then this one if you find you have enough info to request a copy of his record:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Sue

Sue Report 18 Jan 2023 13:33

Thank you so much

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Jan 2023 12:06

He would not necessarily have been posted to the same squadron throughout his RAF career as the RAF has a different system to the army. Most postings in the RAF are on an individual basis.

Identifying the aircraft may help you.

Hope this helps.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Jan 2023 13:17

Best possibilities, from a quick search.

The squadrons with their planes who were in the area during 1946 - 1948

No. 208 Squadron - Spitfires FR18s

No. 213 Squadron - Mustangs and Tempests F Mark 6

Weak possibility

No. 6 Squadron - Tempests

Look the planes up and compare them with the photos you have.

:-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Jan 2023 12:15

Sent PM to Sue to let her know there are more replies, in case she hasn't looked at her thread since thanking me for the links, maybe thinking there wouldn't be anything else.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Jan 2023 15:02

Thank you for sending a message to Sue she's PM'd me :-D