Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re: Manchester, anyone heard of...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JEH123

JEH123 Report 21 Feb 2008 13:55

Oakhill Home in Cheetham Hill around 1934? It's on one of my relatives birth certificates. Might be a home for unmarried mothers but not sure. I have tried to google but with little success.
Would appreciate some help.
Thank you in advance.
Janet

Vivian

Vivian Report 21 Feb 2008 18:15

My A to Z of Manchester, bought in 1970, has an Oakhill St in Cheetham Hill. It ran from Heath St to Halliwell Lane. I looked up the 1911 Slater's Directory, but this street was residential at the time. The entire area has been redeveloped, but there is an Oakhill Way - see Multimap.

I found the Slater's on Historical Directories which has many searchable facsimiles of old directories: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

You might consider contacting Manchester Central Library:

Manchester Archives and Local Studies
Central Library
St Peter's Square
Manchester
M2 5PD
Tel: 0161 234 1979 or (Archives only) 0161 234 1980
Fax: 0161 234 1927
Email: [email protected]

Regards, Vivian

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Feb 2008 18:26

is it on smedley lane

Vivian

Vivian Report 21 Feb 2008 19:40

In 1911 there was a Beech Hill in Smedley Lane. This was a Church Army Labor (sic) Home. Smedley Lane looks a better bet than Oakhill St that looks to have been terraced housing.

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Feb 2008 19:42

smedley lane is a very old part of cheetham hill.i live near there

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Feb 2008 19:45

there is an old folks by the name oakhill on smedley lane.there is a lot of very old buildings up there too.

Gerard

Gerard Report 25 Feb 2008 12:20

Oakhill House was run by the Salvation Army. They moved to "Oakhill", Maudley Park Ave, Higher Broughton and then to "Adswood", 460 Bury New Rd.

If any records have survied you will have to contact the Salvation Army.

Gerard

Gerard

Gerard Report 25 Feb 2008 12:57

Oakhill House was run by the Salvation Army. They moved to "Oakhill", Maudley Park Ave, Higher Broughton and then to "Adswood", 460 Bury New Rd.

If any records have survied you will have to contact the Salvation Army.

Gerard

JEH123

JEH123 Report 5 Jul 2016 21:54

Thank you for this. I forgot I'd posted this. I've only just started searching again now I've got more time.