Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Smith, born about 1880, of London, England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 7 Jun 2010 16:38

I have received many false matches for my great uncle, as you can probably imagine!

This past week I received a notice from GenesReunited saying that someone wanted to contact me regarding Ada Ing. I clicked the link. A message popped up saying:

"William Smith was my Maternal Grandfather as you will see from my tree. He remarried [after the death of Marion Ing] and had a number of children including my mother ...
I have Marion Ing's Bible which records a number of events including the death of Thomas Ing and the emigration of Ada and her mother.
I would like to exchange further information, but current work commitments don't allow me the time to respond immediately I will always reply to any communication
Best Wishes"

Wow! I was stunned! Thomas Ing was my great grandfather! I was very familiar with the story of my grandfather and his brother selling their oxen to pay for the passage of Marion's mother Martha and sister Ada to Canada in 1907.

I had never been able to find anything on William Smith, of London, England, born about 1880. This was despite frequent "possible matches" in GenesReunited. Now I had William's info, his parents' info, his second wif'e's info and the names and birth years of his 14 children!

This is a wonderful service!