Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Holcomb/Holkem/Holcombe Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 14 Jul 2010 18:10

I have had many twists and turns with my Holkem name. It all started with my Mother who was born Ellen Holkem but married under the name of Holcombe ( name changed between 1911 and 1914) wherby everybod y is now called Holcombe. However, since tracing my family through Genes Reunited I have since learnt from the various people who have contacted me that my family seems to have been called Holcomb. Hence three different types of spelling whlch as you can appreciate has really been taxing at times. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed finding out about these differences and through all the help I have received from other members I have received amazing information about my Holcomb family as they have been related to me in some way and have informed me about something that I had no knowledge of. even though i received informatin some three years ago but did not think it had anything to do with me. Well I was wrong because last year another member contacted me and once again was distantly related by marriage. Well what I found out was that my Gt, Gt,Gt, Gandfather and Mother lived in Tellisford in Somerset which I already knew. What I did not know was that my Grand Mother and her son James work for the Savil Kent family at lRoad Hill House where the 3 year old child was murdered.by his step sister Constance and was found in the outside privvy belonging to the servants with his throat cut and stabbed through the heart.. The murder took place in1860. A book as written about the Murder at Road Hill House which I purchased. It appearsThe reason being is that My Gt,Gt,Gt, Grandmother Mary Holcomb and her son James Holcomb(the Gardener,Coachman) both worked at Road Hill House.at the time of the murder... Mary was a Charwomen who was given the job of laying out and washing the boys body and both of them are named in the book which is something I had not expected to find. So you can imagin my surprise! So thanks to Genes reunited I can now dine oout on this litle story as my claim to fame.

Hope you find this of interest..