Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracy Collins' success story

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 11 Aug 2004 14:13

six years ago i found out from a slip of the tongue that i have a brother!!! from that moment forward there was a sense of understanding what was wrong with the family, with it came that incredible need to reach out and find him, it was a hunger that words cannot describe. hence began my quest (commonly known in my household as "operation big brother") from that moment on, my journey began, into the computer, the archives, the library,the local history resources,THE PAST! My house has been neglected terribly, i would swerve any tasks i could get away with in order to pursue this need to find geoff,and i changed my screen username at one point to "SCREAM AT THE SCREEN". I had so many bum steers and blind alleys that any normal person would have been forgiven if they threw the towel in long ago. I soul searched my reasons for finding geoff, I knew this was no idle curiosity, but to put into words the feelings of this need is impossible. i knocked on one womans door four times insisting she was the birth mother of my brother, (sorry for that by the way mrs woods) She wasnt the right mrs woods, i sent in excess of 1000 emails and about two hundred hand written letters, i was thrown out of the archives more times than i care to remember for not having booked an appointment to view the microfisch. i would look at every face in the street for a trace of recognition. some may say from reading this i was obsessed, i was! but it was a healthy stable obsession to satisfy the need to know him. my husband and kids backed me all the way and have learnt to live in a pig sty with ease........................... Ask me now was it worth it? Three days ago i knocked on my brothers door, when he opened it and i looked into his eyes MY OWN SOUL STARED BACK AT ME ! I would have known him if he walked past me in the street, the undescribable link of belonging would have made me go to him. For every minute i spent searching i got a step closer to him,If it took a billion steps more i would take them, i would search till my dying days to just look in his eyes and feel that overwhelming sense of who we really are. With a need driven by our D.N.A and the help of this wonderful community of people who understand this need I am now geoffs little sister and geoff is our big brother, who knows what may happen in the future? who can say? ONE THING FOR CERTAIN THOUGH, WE HAVE A FUTURE OF KNOWING EACH OTHER AND THE ONLY WORD FITTING ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE THIS IS..... "PRICELESS"