Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Siobhan in Leicestershire's success story

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 9 Oct 2004 10:08

My success wasn't directly through Genes Connected. But I thought I would share it with you all, just to prove that you should never give up. My grandfather was born a twin in 1924, his twin died from premature birth. Around 1926 he was put into care and was looked after up until he was old enough to go out on his own. In the 1950s he tried to trace his birth parents, but was never successful. He died in 1977 never finding them. About a year ago, I set on a mission to find out what he was never successful in doing. That was about his REAL family. I kept coming to dead ends over and over again. Mainly because his parents worked in the theatre and moved about a lot and I have never to this day found a marriage between them. In desperation, I gave up trying to find descendants from my grandfather's mother side. I had discovered she had an older brother, so decided to look down his side, to see if he had any children. I discovered that my granddads uncle married in 1925 and had two children and daugther and a son. The daughter I knew may of married and I'd have no way of finding her, so I decided to look for the son. Some kind person on here did and electoral register look up for me and found him. I composed a letter and within a couple of days I had a reply. I had indeed found the correct family and they informed me that my grandfather had a older brother and sister. My grandads mother had also remarried and my grandad also had a half brother. Apparently my dads brother and sister where adopted by her new husband, my great grandmother for some reason never went looking for my grandfather. Some of the family knew of my grandfather existence but were swore never to tell and it was kind of forgotten about all those years ago. Obviously until now. They are so please I have contacted them. I have found a whole new side of my family which I never expected I would. They have share stories of my great grandmothers life in the stage and theatre and have also sent me photographs. I never thought I'd ever see anything like that. Sadly my grandfather is no longer here to share all of this, but I am sure he is looking down somewhere and is very proud of how well I have succeeded in his quest that he tried so many years ago. My grandfather father still remains a mystery, my NEW family, know very little of him or what happened to him. But I am sure I will find out about him one day too also. It just goes to show, never ever give up.