Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM imports

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 29 Aug 2011 18:41

I imported my wife's tree into Genes Reunited as a GEDCOM file from another website. I assumed I could have more than one tree on GR. To my utter chagrin, it (my wife's tree) substituted for my own tree. So, I have lost my tree!!!
This is very annoying to say the least...I have to recreate more than 250 entries to recreate my own tree.
The system fail to warn me that this would happen!!!

Kense

Kense Report 29 Aug 2011 21:27

Did you read the instructions for importing a GEDCOM? They seem to make it quite clear that your existing tree will be overwritten.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/account.page/gedcomimport

Kense

Kense Report 29 Aug 2011 22:25

Yes Harry, what Peter says is good advice.

It might be worth geting a Family Tree Program that you and your wife can use for your master trees. That should allow you to merge them to form a combined tree that you can upload to Genes from time to time.

I too hope it doesn't take you too long to rebuild your tree.

Ken

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2011 00:26

Harry

It is said quite clearly in the instructions that importing a "new" gedcom overwrites your tree on here.

many people who want to have 2 separate trees actually take out a second membership in GR ........ a free membership

You can build a tree on here with the free membership. Other people can send you pms, and you can reply to them, but you cannot initiate a pm. You can also read the Community Boards, but not post on them ......... you have to have a paid sub to do that.

May I suggest that you do the additional membership for your wife's tree?

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Aug 2011 11:23

Sorry to here of your experience, and hope it isn't too long before you get your tree reconstructed. It could have been much worse had you had thousands of names in it.

I would go on to say you should never rely on any website to maintain the integrity of your data as you don't have full control.

Invest in a tree prorgam such as FTM and hold all your definitive research on there. The program automatically makes a backup file and you should take steps to save a copy of this from time to time in a safe place in case you loose your PC or hard drive. If you have info scattered on different websites then import and merge once as suggested, clean it up, and then go on from there.

From time to time you then copy as much or as little information as you want to your favourite websites. These are effectively 'throw aways' by which I mean you are never dependent on the information held there as your prime record and can easily refresh it as often or otherwise as you wish from your tree program.