Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

living relatives .. search trees .. no guidance ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 31 Aug 2011 02:56

I am sure this must have been asked before ... but ... I have been observing the 'find living relatives board' for some time ...

and I just replied to a thread where all the people being searched for are in trees at this site ... one of them is a member with her own tree

this seems to be the case for almost every post on that board, not a single new poster has used the 'search trees' function

what I do not understand is why there is no guidance for this, why the instructions at the top of the board, or somewhere, do not say something like

before you post a request for help, please be sure to click the 'search trees' button and see whether your relative is in anyone's family tree here at genesreunited

as I say I am sure this can't be the first time this has been suggested, would it not be very easy to put this into the instructions at the top of that board ?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 13 Sep 2011 23:18

another problem on the 'living relatives' board is the number of duplicate threads

people have threads on 'find ancestors' and then post on 'living relatives' about the same thing

please please can guidance not be included in the instructions for the 'living relatives' board not to post the same request that has been on another board already ?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Sep 2011 16:29

And no matter how many times you tell these people how to use the Search Trees facility they still post

Maybe they just want others to do their research for them.

Lazy B*gg**s :-P

jax

jax Report 14 Sep 2011 18:15

Piglets pal

It is not the fact that they have been told by other members how to use the search trees....

These are normally new members who have never posted before, so there should be something in the guide lines to tell them that is where they should look first, before they post a request to find these people

jax

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 14 Sep 2011 18:49

my post is indeed meant to refer to new users

but that's not to say that Piglet's Pal doesn't have a point :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Sep 2011 19:31

Personally, I think that the suggestion to 'Search Trees' should be posted on the Find Ancestors board too.

Many of the new posters on there are often looking for descendents of 'gt.grandma', presumably in the hope of finding family members.

It's amazing how often that simple function gets overlooked and yet it can hold the key to unlocking new avenues of research.

Cx.